Will a Fender deluxe reverb sound good with DiMarzio super distortions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EADGBE, May 15, 2008.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

That's my favorite pickup. And I'm thinking about getting a Deluxe reverb.

2. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

Well what kind of music do you play?

Remember, the pickups don't go in the amp, they go in the guitar, and are quite replaceable if they don't quite get you there. There have been a few times where I've paraded "favourite pickup" only to get a new amp and need a switch in pickup, which then became my "favourite"

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

I have not tried that combination directly myself, but I have never heard of any kind of guitar or pickup that didn't basically work well with a DR. The sound is probably impacted more by your choice of speaker and EQ settings than the amp itself.

If you have a music shop nearby, perhaps you can try it in a DRRI (but keeping in mind that the stock speaker in a new DRRI may not be suitable).

4. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I'm gonna take a wild guess here: if the super-distortion is your favorite pickup, then the deluxe probably isn't your style.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Not necessarily true. I have a friend who plays jazz and R&B, who doesn't play high gain amps (he has a Super Reverb) or use pedals but he likes the SD because it pushes his amp a little harder.

Differnt strokes...

6. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

This is probably true. You might want an amp that is tighter and more focused. The Deluxe is pretty vintage sounding. Maybe a Fender blues deluxe or hot rod deluxe.

7. KCWM

KCWM Member

There was a guy on another forum that posted some clips of him doing metal on a DRRI. While there are amps that handle metal better, those clips did sound pretty good.

I can get a good, 90's rock sound out of mine with a Les Paul w/ burstbucker pros and an OCD. Capturing that with a mic and a crappy USB pre amp is a different story.

8. stratzrus

I think that's the missing component. What type of music is your end goal?

If you want metal or high gain tones there are different amps you might want to consider. If you just want to use the Super Distortions to induce earlier breakup to get more of an overdrive type gain, the Deluxe Reverb should be fine, particulary with a C-Rex or Tone Tubby alnico speaker.

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Rock. I have two Marshalls. A TSL60 and a 2203X 100 watt master volume reissue that I play through a 1960 4x12. I just want something that's not as loud to jam with at home. I was wondering if a super distortion may overwhelm the front end of the deluxe reverb resulting in mud. I don't really play country or jazz. But I'm not into 'industrial' either.

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

The Deluxe Reverb is a loud amp.......:)

11. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

You will definitely blast the front end of a Deluxe Reverb with Super Distortions. It shouldn't get to muddy, but the low end may get a bit loose. However, you probably won't have much headroom (not sure if you need that, just FYI).

12. strings

strings Member

Anything sounds good thru a DR:drink

13. stratzrus

The front end won't be overwhelmed but the stock speaker won't be happy at all if you really crank it. Replace it with a C-Rex or Tone Tubby and you shouldn't have any problems regarding the pickups and the bottom end will tighten up nicely.

If you're using a high gain pedal a speaker swap is needed even more.