will a furman power conditioner fix my 60 cycle hum in my home?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hithere, Jul 7, 2010.

1. hithere

hithere Member

hey guys I live in a house with very old electricity and depending on the day my 60 cycle hum can be horrible, I just got my first gainier amp, and the more gain you add the worse it is. It is impossible to record.

As far as I know the outlets aren't grounded.

Would a furman power conditioner fix this problem without having to rewire the house which would be much more expensive.

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

no, anyhting under $400 is just a power strip in a box.

3. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

I've tried the Furman and it didn't work for me... mine was only happening when using higher gain, but it still didn't clean anything up. I attribute it to my 1950's era wiring. And my outlets ARE grounded, at least to each box.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It depends if the hum is entering your signal chain through your outlets or your pickups. Yes to the former, no to the latter (& this is a commonly confused distinction).

5. WaterBearOne

WaterBearOne Member

First and foremost - it can be VERY dangerous to play a guitar through an amp/outlet that is not grounded because YOU can become the path to ground - very unpleasant and potentially lethal...no kidding.

Here's a good explanation of this issue:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

Grab an outlet tester from Home Depot (<$10) and verify the wiring in the outlets that you are using. Find one that is wired correctly and grounded, or you will definitely need to do some re-wiring - (and not just for your guitars...)
    Power conditioners use the path to ground in their filtering circuitry, so those won't do much good on an ungrounded outlet anyway.

As for the hum problem - Does the hum vary depending on where you stand/which way you are facing with your guitar? If so, the problem may be your guitar and not your amp, and you'll want to check the shielding on your guitar - here's how:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

6. Jon Silberman

WBO is right. If the outlet's not to ground, YOU ARE THE GROUND.

7. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Get one of those little outlet checkers; as far as the Furman goes, it doesn't seem to get rid of much noise, at least not as much as one would expect from such an expensive piece. The website description seems to indicate that it does work on other levels, e.g. providing a reservoir of available current. Perhapas there are situations where it really does reduce noise, don't know. I use a Decimator to get rid of the single-coil noise.

8. Jon Silberman

The Decimator is an example of a unit designed to deal with PUP-induced noise as it's a noise gate (if you bought a Furman for this purpose, you wasted your money). I used to own a Decimator. It was decent but I sold it, preferring to relieve the cause but not the symptoms. ;)

9. MantraSky

MantraSky Silver Supporting Member

hithere, there is a couple of things that you can try. If your home is grounded with three prong outlets, use a ground tester to see if you have an open circuit where there's no ground. That's the easiest way unless your familiar with a multimeter, where you can check for continuity. If the tester indicates a ground present, plug in your amp (with distortion) try disconnecting everything in sight and that you can think of. Usually it's because something is in the path, that's introducing the noise, believe it or not but serious professional studio's use "Electrical Treatment" to get rid of noise (Filters etc.) somewhat expensive, but you don't have to go that route. I'm sure this amp you spoke of is in good health (electronically) and that you've taken it to other locations with no problems. If suddenly the noise stops, back check what just happened. Sometimes it a process of elimination to find the fault. Stage technicians have to go through similar things all the time, but only have a few minutes to resolve it. If you don't have proper ground, you risk your life and anyone that lives there, anything that's connected to the outlet is prone during a storm, to blow! If you don't have a grounded house, you should seriously get an electrician, good luck.

10. sled

sled Member

Questions...

Nothing plugged into amp...
    Hum? Amp Volume Up? Amp Volume down?

Gtr plugged in...
    Hum with the Gtr Volume Down? More Hum with the Pot Half way?

With the Gtr Volume on 10, does Hum come and go as you move around the room?

Do you have pedals between the Gtr and Amp that are not on battery? i.e. Using a Power supply?

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I bought a couple of the hundred twenty dollar furmans... made a big difference on my stereo/tv rig upstairs... practically none for the guitar amps.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

13. shadesofgray

shadesofgray Senior Member

"My guitar amps do not require grounding, I ground them" -Chuck Norris

"You come to our village and ground all our amps" -Steven Seagal

"Look, ima do wha' ima do ok?" -Rocky Balboa

It's the design of the circuit it's the thrill of the light, rising up to the challenge of our grounding