Will a Germino Classic 45 get me this tone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

2. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I'd say a Classic 45 and a good Les Paul should get you there.

3. Berre

Berre Member

well with my club 40 and Murphy Les Paul i'm not that far away either.... :)

:dude
    Bert

4. Axeplyr

Got the Les Paul already! :AOK

5. Axeplyr

Cool! I've got a JCM-800 that gets a great crunchy Marshall tone, but when I heard the tones in these clips, I experineced a recurrence of my GAS!

The Club 40 looks nice, too. Might have to try them both.

6. Berre

Berre Member

while your at it, be sure to check out the Lead 55 too...

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

yep the classic 45 is all over it...that and a beano boost and you're in, although you dont really need the boost with the Germino, just dial up the volume a little bit more

8. dewman

I think the Germino is actually better....check out germinoamps.com and see Greg's clips...devastating...

9. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

"I think the Germino is actually better." ...........(waves...) Check please...........

10. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

A Classic 45 will definitely do that sound and then some. Just turn it up and let er rip.

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Just from what I can see on the movie clips, I see the following:

1) Old Les Paul, or it's a great looking reissue, or a replica with old inlays, truss rod cover moved to look old, and the lacquer over the Gibson logo aged to look old as well.
    2) If it is old, figure it probably has PAF's.
    3) The amp is only being run through it's "high treble" channel.
    4) If the amp is original, they probably invested in NOS tubes, keep that in mind, as it does make a difference.
    5) The slant cab is definitely old, so it probably has Pre Rola's in it, whether they're G12M's or H's is the only question, and whether they're lead or bass cones, too.

You can approximate alot of this with the suggestions you've read above, although you probably still need to factor in the speakers, tubes, and PAF's (although some WCR Darkbursts or Crossroads are a pretty close tone).

In other words, there's some variables in there to define, then it's a question of how much $$ you want to spend to get that tone.

12. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Axelplyr,

Is it just a coincidence that those clips are from a German mag or do you live in Germany? If so, then I have a Germino Classic 45 you are welcome to try...

Regards
    chris

13. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

My Germino Lead 55 LV sounds like that, but I don't.

Listen to the clips of it on Germino's sire as well as Steelbender.com and I think you'll agree.

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

that lespaul is dickey bett's i think. it's a 58. there's a thread about it on the lp forum somewhere.

15. dewman

Hey outtahear,
    Read the thread title. It is better in my opinion than a vintage amp and sounds as good or better than these clips. It sounds dead on like a mid 60's JTM45 and is new and reliable. I think they are absolutely great amps. Check that. So I am descriptive in my language...rag anonymously on someone else.

16. Axeplyr

Thanks for the replies!

I was expecting a bit more buzz... I heard these clips and was totally floored - I think it may be one of the greatest tones I've personally heard.

At any rate, I figured if any "clone" boutique or otherwise would get close, it would be the Germino. Understanding, of course, that the guy is playing through about $75k worth of gear there (assuming it's a real vintage Les Paul, of course).

I'd be running a '59 LP reissue with Burstbuckers with a 1960AX cab. I'm guessing the ultimate cab would be a G12H-30/55hz loaded basketweave cab.

LGehrig,
    I've listened to the clips on Germino's website, but didn't hear any that sounded like that. Though the website clips sounded great as well.

Chris,
    I live in Seattle. I speak a good broken German, but picked up that link at the Plexi Palace BBS.

Southbay,
    There seems to be quite a bit of buzz about these WCR pickups. How do they compare to the burstbuckers? Is it worth a swap?

Thx,

John

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Really? I thought that there were quite a few clips that came very close.

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

There is absolutely no comparison to be made comparing Burstbuckers and WCR pickups..It's like comparing a Hundai to a BMW,,,The WCR's are that much better

19. Axeplyr

Guess i'll need to pick up a set. Darkburst?

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

John,
    I have four WCR loaded guitars, one with Burstbuckers (early set from four years ago), two with Wolfetones, two with original PAF's. My Keebler LP replica with the WCR Darkbursts is my "go to" guitar for most gigs, although my Orville LP Goldtop with the Betset in them is fast gaining popularity. I would probably steer you towards the DB or the Betset for the tone you're looking for. Email Jim @ WCR and he can dial it in for you based on what you tell him. Hope this helps.