Will a master volume amp give me saturated gain at reasonable volumes?

jimmyohio75

I have a '59 Bassman LTD that I have been gigging with. We play mainly small club gigs and I'm almost always mic'd. I can barely turn the volume past 1 and a half on the amp. I am using a Crunch Box for my dirt but I still feel that I'm not getting the most out of this rig and I'm considering a low wattage alternative.
Do amps with Master volumes allow for better distortion at low volumes as compared to a non master volume amp?
Maybe I should simply get a 10-15 watt head for my small gigs?
BY the way, I prefer EL34's!!

steelvalley

Same boat - gotta thread up now on low watt/high gain. I've owned and played amps with a great rep for their MVs, like my Straub Cantus 50W. In my experience, the MV alone does not get the job done. Obviously depends on the application - but if you want medium gain, where the amp is breathing, the MV will be a comprimise and leave you wondering about low watt amps. A little MV with an attenuator might be the way to go if you want EL34's.

Jammin'John

That's why we buy small amps.
That's a good reason to have several amps.
You are playing through the LOUDEST of the tweeds and wishing it was not so loud.
A 1x12,or a 2x10 would work a lot better.
You can unhook one of your speakers.
You can install less efficient speakers.

JJ

RussB

low rent hobbyist
time for an attenuator, or a smaller amp. How 'bout a Tweed Deluxe?

jimmyohio75

time for an attenuator, or a smaller amp. How 'bout a Tweed Deluxe?
I don't necessarily want to have to rely on my Crunch Box for my dirt. If I buy a new amp it will be something like a Reeves Custom 18 or a Reinhardt 18 that has plenty of built in gain!
Of course I love the tweed sound of my Bassman!

hasserl

With a 59 B-Man a post PI MV works great. The only problem is where to mount the pot.

I'd probably go with an attenuator instead, just be sure to get one with a 2 ohm specified load, don't go for one of the Fit's-All attenuators, it's best to properly match the impedance of the load to the amp. A Fit-All attenuator will place a real high load on that amp, which is not good for it.

Trending Topics