Will a Rangemaster style treble booster...

DimT

Silver Supporting Member
... be 100% useless with my amps? (An ENGL Screamer 50 and a 90's solid state Roland Blues Cube 60)

Caprica

According to mr google

"Boosts, especially treble boosts, are designed to hit the first tube stage hard to get it to break up. Overdriving a SS input stage is likely to result in splatty distortion."

So Engl yes and Roland nope

DimT

Silver Supporting Member
Well, ok about the Roland but the ENGL is modern and... big! Don't these things work better with some older stuff? Shouldn't an EQ or full boost be better? (please ignore my... ignorance)

uberdave

Silver Supporting Member

Entertaining and educational. Treble booster like to boost gain. Can be an amp, fuzz and or
amp like od pedals.

Major Dude

I wouldn't' say a RM would be useless with either of these amps but you wouldn't be getting the full effect of what it is designed to do. A regular clean boost RC or Timmy type might be better

However, as well as boosting a set treble frequency a lot of RM style pedals such as the AM Beano feature switches to alter the frequency being boosted and a volume/gain control too. These could give you some interesting volume boost and tone options...plus treble boosters add a nice sparkle to the clean tone with the guitar volume rolled back.

So, maybe not ideal but not useless either

Dr. Lo

A TB is designed to boost upper mids with a hint of dirt in the boost. In the process, it knocks off some bass and offers a very tight sound. Works best in front of a moderately overdriven amp/pedal that has full bass content, like a cranked Vox AC15 or AC30 (normal channel, not Top Boost channel), or a cranked Plexi/JTM45.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom