Will an A4 magnet tame highs in an A5 humbucker???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by clay49, May 5, 2015.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of DiMarzio Air Classic pickups that I really like, but they are noticably bright, especially the bridge (and before you say it, I realize I can adjust amp, guitar controls, etc., but I'd like to soften it a bit before I have to over-tweak amp controls, etc). I currently have the treble back off about 3/4 as it is.

I have some A4 mags...both rough and smooth...would that soften the high end noticably???

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

It may, somewhat. They definitely sound different than A5's - more flat or even, so to speak. You'll have to try it to see if you like the difference. I'd go with the roughcast first as they have slightly more rounded-off highs compared to a smooth or polished version of the same magnet.

I'd also really suggest trying a roughcast un-oriented A5 (UOA5). I've tried them in a number of pickups and they really work well. To me, they combine the best qualities of A2's and A5's without being as harsh as a regular A5.

3. clay49

Excellent! I'll look into that.

4. clay49

So help me out here...but "unoriented" that means it doesn't matter what direction you slide them in???

5. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

No, unoriented refers to the mag not having a magnetic field applied during the casting process; most A5s are, which orients all the grains in one direction, and is part of why they're a much stronger than A2/A3/A4. The UOA5 is mellower than the regular A5, sounds a lot like a deguassed A5. They still have polarity like any other magnet.

6. clay49

Got it. Just grabbed a pair off Eaby... Should be here by the end of the week.

7. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Did you have a chance to swap the mags out with your new ones? I am fretting over my neck pup in an LP. I may try this, depending on how your experiment turns out. Also thinking about swapping volume & tone pots down to 250k ohms on the neck only.

8. clay49

I have not...the magnets were supposed to be delivered yesterday, USPS First Class, but chalk another one up to the efficiency of federally run offices. Hopefully, they'll get here today and I can make the swap. I'm only going to change out the bridge, since I very rarely even use my neck pickup...but I'll certainly share my findings.

9. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

You also might try an Alnico II rough cast. That is my go to mag to tame brightness.

I am able to run them into the amp without turning down treble.