1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will BJF Ever Disappoint Me? (PPF content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teahead, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Teahead

Teahead Member

Content? With the PPF? You bet your boards I am! :eek:

I've had twenty four hours at home with the pedal and I could not be more impressed if it put the kettle on and made me a cup of tea. The versatility has pleased me most, with blending of the Fuzz & Nature controls, it's capable of producing smooth, vocal gain at higher settings and adding girth, warmth and thickening qualities at lower gain settings.

The middle control on some of BJ's pedals is surely wired to some other world? Like the PGC and EGD, the PPF's middle dial interacts with the other two and offers the most responsive fine tuning opportunities you could ask for. At the minute my favourite setting, in o'clock terms, is... Vol 12 Nature 8 Fuzz 11

In short, the PPF sounds stunning, it doesn't look too shabby either...

[​IMG] :angel Tea.

2. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

Do you have a HB ... if so how is it stacked with it.

Randall

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

I don't have the Honey Bee (yet) so I can't answer that one for you. Plenty of folks here do have them both and will no doubt chime in.

4. Dana

Dana Guest

I have the Honey Bee, and recently my Pine Green Compressor showed up. Love em both.

Next on the list is the Pink Purple Fuzz. Glad to hear it's as good as the rest.

5. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

It's hard to say whether the BJF will dissapoint. From what I gather the BBOD was probably the least popular one (some say it had a weird sound inherent in the pedal), but beyond that one, all the BJF pedals I've played, I find fantastic for me and my music.

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The PPF into the HB is great. Many folks have it listed as a favorite BJF stack. The HB is a Fuzz enhancer/focuser for sure. I recently tried the EGDM into the PPF and loved that too! Bjorn is a genius!

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Damn str8. +1000. I only have the DRD, but I've tried EGDM, RRB, BPB, & SBEQ so far. Each one was incredible. I don't get it. Bjorn has his finger right over the pulse of tone. Absolutely brilliant. I think that one day I'll probably have everything he makes...but that may take a while. :D

Just wanted to show some love for Bjorn....

Best,

Doc :dude

8. fenderbender4

I think Bjorn should sell a new pedal..........Bjorn in a Box.

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

THere's no weird sound at all inside my BBOD.. I've had it for over 5 years. It sounds great and if it cleaned up better it'd be even better. It was their flagship model for years

ERIC

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Funny, I thought the BBOD was one of his more popular pedals. It is even used as a reference on his dealers' page - "DYNA RED is the "big bad brother" of the BABY BLUE OD pedal that everyone loves". I know they are only discontinued because they contain NOS parts that BJ only had a limited supply of enough to make 500 pedals.
    I guess I'll know for myself soon enough, I have a used BBOD en route from another GPer.:AOK

11. fenderbender4

I worded it incorrectly. That's the only BJF pedal that I have heard of where a few (very few) people were not ecstatic about it.

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

Those two have been putting a smile on my face for the last hour or so! I can't decide in which order I prefer them stacked, but that's a good thing in my book.

As for taming fuzz and other dirt boxes, the SBEQ serves this purpose very well for me, but that doesn't stop me wanting to try the HB for myself someday.

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty dang skippy about my Pine Green Comp - set w/ more comp it works GREAT for cowboy stuff, set w/ less comp it work great for rock and blues.

I'm completely satisfied with it.

The Dyna Red just slayed me at NAMM. I'm not, or should I say I've never been much of a pedal guy, until recently. (Actually, I thought pedals were little league for years - no offense intended - I just like AMPS!) Mike Fuller and Brian Mena opened that door for me, and Bjorn and Paul C are making a believer out of me.

Dana

14. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I was just on a forum where Bjorn is a moderator. I think it was
    www.theguitarhub.com He posts there daily I think. Not a bad place with some familiar names. The EGD is my go to OD with my VibroVerb. :D

15. e-z

e-z Member

I really dig the PPF. It is exactly what I was looking for in a fuzz.

16. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Yupper quality variety is what I dig about the PPF, many pedals have a quality sound or two, and many pedals make some different noises, but not many really cover a widely useful array of sounds...

the ones that shock me are turning the fuzz way down (8:30-9:00) and t he nature over to about 2 oclock its a tasty light overdrive - and there are many really good drive and distoriton and fuzz sounds in there ---

you could be tweekin on the PPF > EGD > SBEQ for a few weeks .... Voxes are one amp that truly loves being driven by a punchy fuzz ... so if you adjust the PPF as a fuzzdrive and think of the EGD as a vox and the SBEQ as speaker switcher you can paint about anything in that range once you master Bjorns brushes and pallettes

17. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

That happened to you too? I was transfixed the first time my Little Green Wonder made me a fine cup of Earl Grey, it's a little un-nerving at first but you get used to it, if I could just get it to do the laundry.

I know what you mean, both my BJF pedals are that way, the "Body" knob on the PGC and LGW have a very organic quality to the way they function. Bjorn's pedals are the most natural of all I have. Lately I've been using the Pale Green Compressor a lot, mainly as a booster with sustain. It's weird, changing the "Body" knob on the PGC is like changing the wood the guitar's body is made of, an aptly named knob.

18. Teahead

Teahead Member

Spot on, as usual, Donner! :BluesBros

I spent some time this evening with PPF > EGD > SBEQ and the range of control is staggering at first. With the gain of the two 'drives around 10 o'clock they blend seamlessly and the voice/nature controls shape the tone in every conceivable way.

I think the widest variety of tones which are useable to me come from this sequence, the compression of the EGD really tightens the fuzz and adds girth and presence to the sound.

Glad to have settled on a stacking order, thanks a bunch, Don!

:JAM

19. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Man you guys are killing me! I found a PPF today and it'll be here next week. I've never done the stacking thing, but you guys sure have a way of making it sound interesting. Now I'm afraid of being sucked into some sort of alternate BJF universe.

:worried

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Your most welcome TH !..... you can also have some big fun driving the PPF - unlike most fuzzes that like to be first or dont work around buffers, the PPF doesnt really care were its placed so try some things you might not normally with a fuzz ..... even try tunring down the distortion on the EGD and using it as a gooser into the PPF and see what moving the EGD voice knob around does to the PPF and then finish the sound with the SBEQ :AOK