Will echo park work with line level signal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Roodboy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I recently got an Echo park and am loving it, but I don't have any amps with an effects loop currently although I'm planning on fixing that soon.
    Is anyone using this pedal with an effects loop that is line level and does it work OK?
    Thanks

2. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

If it's anything like the DL-4...no. The DL-4 was not designed for a loop. Hopefully they fixed that witht he echo park, but I do not know.

3. Roodboy

Theres go to be away around it, I just don't know what it is.

4. trace the s

trace the s Member

Yea, they sorted it out, it works fine in the loop.

Thats the BIGGEST and most annoying problem with the retarded DL-4 i cant imagine who on earth decided that. It immediately wipes out anyone buying it that plays with crunch or a heavy tone from their amp.

But the echo park is 75% feature wise of what the DL4 is and the analogue/tape models sound much better. The only downer is the lack of presets.

trace the s

5. Roodboy

If instrument level is lower than line level,Couldn't you knock the level down with an eq pedal to keep the toncore happy?
    I'll try it tomorrow and post back.

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I asked Line6 that exact question and they said it can be done, but you have to be careful about how strong the signal is. Luckily, my Kingsley Deluxe 32 has a direct line out, after the power amp, with a level control, so I can vary the amount of signal I'm sending to make sure it doesn't overload the pedal.

But my problem was further solved by adding a Boss CE-20 at the beginning of the chain... amp Line out - CE-20 = Echo Park = Verbzilla = Carvin DCM-150 (power amp) = stereo speakers. The CE-20 has a switch to change the input from instrument level to line level. It doesn't have a switch for changing the output signal, so I'm not sure if it's still line level going out. In any case, the CE-20 feeds the Echo Park, and I haven't had any problems with over loading, or noise, etc - it works perfectly and sounds fantastic in stereo.

7. Roodboy

My concern is if i knock the signal down to instrument level, then I will need to bring it back up to line level to keep the amp effects return happy.
    I'm thinking this may be the solution
    http://www.ebtechaudio.com/products.html
    The line level shifter.

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

9. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

Could someone explain to me what line level is??

10. Roodboy

Ok I'll give this a shot and hopefully somone else will explain it better.
    Line level is higher than instrument level there are two levels for line level either +4dbv or -10 dbv. Instrument level can be lower than that so my concern in this post was clipping the instrument level effects pedals in a line level loop.
    I spoke with Ebtech support today.The line level shifte may help but some instrument level signals are -20 so it may still not match.
    Another idea I came up with if the effect loop is tube driven, is to swap a 12at7 or 12au7 instead of the 12ax7 thinking that the lower gain tube may lower the level. I haven't tried this yet.

11. Yek

Yek Member

Line level is always +4 dB. Meant for 19" devices and such to be connected to mixers, some amp effect loops etc.

Instrument level most commonly is -10 dB or -20 dB. That's the level used for input and output of devices between guitar and amp input.

12. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

how can you tell if your effects loop is line level or not? Or are all effects loops line level?? What happens if you have a stompboxes in a line level loop??

13. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I tried the Echo Park in the loop of my Traynor YCV-40 and that worked fine.

Cheers,

Mats N