Will EVH Wolfgang pickups work in a Gibson Les Paul?

tarheelalum

Wondering if anyone has tried to put some Wolfgang pickups in a Les Paul? It would be the Wolfgang's with the chrome covers if that matters. Wondering if they will fit and if there will be any wiring work arounds needed.

monty

Wondering if anyone has tried to put some Wolfgang pickups in a Les Paul? It would be the Wolfgang's with the chrome covers if that matters. Wondering if they will fit and if there will be any wiring work arounds needed.
IIRC, Pete Thorn did this years ago. Maybe try tagging him with this question....

Sustainar

Not much info available on those for some reason, but I can’t imagine their dimensions being radically different from a Gibson size HB. Worst case scenario you have to make a couple of minor mods to your LP.

OotMagroot

Aren't there Dimarzio and Duncan equivalents of the EVH pickups? Awhile back it was discussed that the Dimarzio Tone Zone or Air Zone were the closest to the EVH bridge pickup. And then the Air Norton was closest to the neck pickup.

On the Seymour side, the Custom Custom was said to be closest to the EVH bridge pickup. I can't remember what they said about a Seymour neck equivalent.

jvin248

GFS makes an EVH copy too.

EVH took the Frankenstrat pickup out of a Gibson (I think a broken 335) ... so you should have no trouble putting a modern copy back in a Gibson. You'll need a trim ring if the one you get is out of a direct body mount.

One of the things they found out about the Frankenstrat pickup was that one of the coils was broken in a way that it still worked via capacitive coupling. So it had lower internal capacitance (more like hand wound boutique pickups) and a mix of single and humbucking characteristics. Roy Bucanan's Nancy Telecaster bridge pickup was found to be broken in this same way.

So, what you can do ... take a regular humbucker you have and put a series capacitor on the hot lead of the pickup or between the common connections (famous red-black pair often taped together and used to split a pickup). Try different capacitors, starting with 0.047uF.

morglan

I picked up a set of Wolfgang's after buying an EVH striped series guitar.

The bridge went into the bridge of my friend's V, and the neck went into the bridge of my V.

Love them both.

The base plates do have centered mounting screw holes that are used to mount the pickup in normal fashion, but I can't remember if they need metric or standard adjustment screws.

monty

Aren't there Dimarzio and Duncan equivalents of the EVH pickups? Awhile back it was discussed that the Dimarzio Tone Zone or Air Zone were the closest to the EVH bridge pickup. And then the Air Norton was closest to the neck pickup.
IIRC, those were the equivalent of the Peavey EVH pickups.

Mincer

On the Seymour side, the Custom Custom was said to be closest to the EVH bridge pickup. I can't remember what they said about a Seymour neck equivalent.
I thought Duncan made the EVH pickups. They certainly make the 78, which is another variation of those. They also built an Evenly Voiced Harmonics humbucker as well.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member

those were the old EBMM and Peavey Wolfgang pickups that sounded similar to Dimarzios, not the new EVH branded ones. Those are a fair bit different.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
I thought Duncan made the EVH pickups. They certainly make the 78, which is another variation of those. They also built an Evenly Voiced Harmonics humbucker as well.
The '78 is way different, totally different specs, although still made by Duncan. The '78 was previously called the Evenly Voiced Harmonics (EVH).. so you can see why Duncan changed the name...

therhodeo

those were the old EBMM and Peavey Wolfgang pickups that sounded similar to Dimarzios, not the new EVH branded ones. Those are a fair bit different.
I believe the OG EBMM pickups didn't sound like Dimarzios, they were Dimarzios and Dimarzio has said that the Tone Zone/Air Norton set is the closest thing in their lineup to those OE models.

morglan

There's also an EVH Frankenstein pickup as well I believe (I have one in a single pickup Jr build, and it sounds amazing as well.)

monty

LOL, I was thinking the EBMM pickups. Are the current EVHgear pickups not based on something similar? I kinda stopped following his gear some time ago.
Not sure what the latest ones are based on, but they sound great!

Trending Topics