Will filtron pick up rings fit covered PAF's?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bionic, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I know I would have to drill adjustment screw holes on the side but is the internal hole of the ring able to fit a covered PAF? Will I need to shave some plexiglass off?

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Filter'trons are much smaller than full-sized humbuckers, so, no, the pickup surrounds won't fit.

3. bionic

bionic Member

O.K. here's my next question. Would filtertrons fit into PAF routing with the proper rings?

4. Roe

Roe Member

yes without the "ears" it will (almost at least). But there is very little space

5. bionic

bionic Member

Here is the deal. I have a Gretsch clipper that originally only came with one neck pick up. When I got it was routed for two PAF's. I would love to get it looking like a Gretsch again and get two TV Jones' pickups. The guitar is in the shop so I can't take a peak in the cavities to see if I can get the Jones'. what do you guys think?

6. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

i think you'd need to fab up some mounting rings to put the filter'trons into full sized hum routes. i've seen it done before, but having owned some of tom's (tv's) pups, i'd just as soon recommend that you give him a call (nice gent) and ask him about what he can do for ya. of course, he may just steer you in the direction of his tv'trons, humbucker-sized pups w/filter'tron innards. those clippers are nice, congrats on acquiring it.

7. bionic

bionic Member

Bob,
    thanks for the congrats. I have had the guitar for awhile and really have grown to love it but in it's current shape it was always a hack around guitar. I would now like it to replace my jazzmasters and les pauls. I have it in the shop and they are going to get it playin nice. Since posting I talked to my luthier and he told me he could put TV Jones powertron plus in the bridge and powertron in the neck with the filtertron pickup mounts no problem. I'll let you know how he did it when I get it back. Now I've got two weeks of waiting for repair and adding bigsby, TV Jones pickups, filtertron pickup rings and Gretsch pickup switch and tip. AAArrrrggggghhhh! Should be pretty sweet though when I get it back.