Will getting my Line 6 DL4 modded raise it's worth?

Msboy2011

I'm about to sell it to add to my Strymon Timeline fund. (Fingers crossed to win one) If I get it modded in some way would that help me out on selling it? Is it worth it? :munch

I just bought $200 worth of mods for my DL4. I doubt I'd be able to sell the DL4 for $450-$500 even with the mods on.

Brettski

I just bought $200 worth of mods for my DL4. I doubt I'd be able to sell the DL4 for $450-$500 even with the mods on.
I can believe it. I summarily DESTROYED two of em in about three years of gigging. The switches sucked and the plastic jacks were turds. I miss the sounds and looper though.

Back to the question: I personally would pay slightly more for one that was a little sturdier than stock, but probably not enough to cover what you'd have to pay someone to do the mods for you.

Reckedtrek

How much are DL4's going for unmodded/100% functional with the Line6 power supply and Expression pedal? Maybe $200 shipped?

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
How much are DL4's going for unmodded/100% functional with the Line6 power supply and Expression pedal? Maybe $200 shipped?
Hard to say...if this was about 3-4 years ago before there were mods and people discovered how to power the DL-4 without the power supply, you would probably be able to get around $200 for that. Nowadays, since that information has come to light, I don't think the added power supply and expression will be worth much unfortunately. My power supply has been sitting in my random guitar scraps drawer for years...I wish I could sell it. As previously mentioned, most fully functional used DL-4s (even if they are aesthetically mint) go around $150.

To the OP: Having mods done to it will definitely raise the value. However, I don't know if the ratio of how much you would pay for these mods is equal to what it would be valued on the used market. The most I see people pay around here for a fully modded DL-4 (i.e. volume drop fix, "double-preset" switch/knob, soft switches, LED swap, external jack for tap tempo, and even a repaint) go around $250 maybe. Assuming you have a near mint condition DL-4 that can be sold for roughly $150, that leaves you with about $100 worth of investments, in which case all those mods will cost you well over $150-200. In the end, it's not worth it for an immediate gain. Maybe if you've had the DL-4 for quite some time and it has been modded for the duration of your usage, then sure - it's nice to have a slightly higher return than a stock DL-4. In terms of making a quick buck, you are better off just selling the DL-4 as it is and continue saving up for the Timeline through other means.

Msboy2011

To the OP: Having mods done to it will definitely raise the value. However, I don't know if the ratio of how much you would pay for these mods is equal to what it would be valued on the used market. The most I see people pay around here for a fully modded DL-4 (i.e. volume drop fix, "double-preset" switch/knob, soft switches, LED swap, external jack for tap tempo, and even a repaint) go around $250 maybe. Assuming you have a near mint condition DL-4 that can be sold for roughly $150, that leaves you with about $100 worth of investments, in which case all those mods will cost you well over $150-200. In the end, it's not worth it for an immediate gain. Maybe if you've had the DL-4 for quite some time and it has been modded for the duration of your usage, then sure - it's nice to have a slightly higher return than a stock DL-4. In terms of making a quick buck, you are better off just selling the DL-4 as it is and continue saving up for the Timeline through other means.
Thanks! I have the money for the Timeline, just trying to get rid of some gear I won't use and regain some money.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! I have the money for the Timeline, just trying to get rid of some gear I won't use and regain some money.
In that case, you might as well just keep the DL-4 until the TL comes out :). I've had it for over 4 years now without problems and can't seem to find another pedal that can do most of the sounds I am using it for (at least not until the TL comes out).

Msboy2011

In that case, you might as well just keep the DL-4 until the TL comes out :). I've had it for over 4 years now without problems and can't seem to find another pedal that can do most of the sounds I am using it for (at least not until the TL comes out).
That's what I'm doing. I meed it for some P&W delay, so I need until the Timeline gets on my door (Which who knows when that could be). So when that day comes it goes on sale. :)

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
$150 usually, I seem them pop up all the time for $130-150 for good condition ones with power supply. More for the newer badge ones and less for the older script logo. Maybe add $20-25 for the expression

Msboy2011

$150 usually, I seem them pop up all the time for $130-150 for good condition ones with power supply. More for the newer badge ones and less for the older script logo. Maybe add $20-25 for the expression
How much does the expression mod cost?

jrocguitars

While you will get more money for a modded DL4, you'll still spend more on the modification (unless you do it yourself) and lose in the end. I personally would want to know someone verifiable has modded it (like R3FX or JHS) for it to add much value (IMO).

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure I can get more for my drasp modded one.
This pedal just made me a believer. I ditched all my analogs
for this.

Trending Topics