• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Will guitar based music ever come back into the mainstream?

Wyatt Martin

If you were a music executive who would you rather sign - 4-5 guys who can't agree on anything except that they're going to do it their way or some karaoke bar singer who will gladly sing any piece of garbage you set in front of them?

Obviously someone is buying the stuff or they would've moved on from it by now. If as many kids who buy the newest Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto video game also bought the newest Greta Van Fleet or Dirty Honey album someone would take notice.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, Post Malone will bring it back into the mainstream. (sarcasm) He can sort of play a guitar, but I don't see them in his videos. Then again, I don't watch many of those. Could be. He knows where the money is, and it doesn't seem to involve guitars.

I love the little Japanese girl metal, when played by the girls, like Band Maid. Baby Metal, not so much.

That just kicks ass....and I'm old!

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
I also dig some of these ladies. Doll Boxx can bring it, but it is more poppy. Drummer girl goes off!

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
And it is not just marketing. People like to work with their pals or, if not, with known entities. If you are a record company exec and your main goal is to make money ("art" being a secondary concern) and you have the means, why would you risk a flop by hiring new, untested talent when you can all but guarantee a hit with Max Martin, Kathy Dennis, or Guy Chambers?
And yet, you still get your Billie Eillishes, your Lordes, your Lady Gagas, or your George Ezras squeezing through. One may not like their music (I mostly do, FWIW) but kudos to them for making it in this unforgiving business.
For my money Lorde has been the best thing to come out of pop music in 30 years, you have to go back to Kate Bush to find a comparable figure. And she's pretty much managed to do it on her own terms, there can't be many chart-bothering teenagers getting to co-produce their albums in this day and age. Even going back to peak Michael Jackson, Madonna etc I don't think there's a better pop album than Melodrama.

I'm far more excited about a new Lorde album (it's coming soon, apparently) than I am any current guitar band.

PRW

IMO the passive/aggressive subliminal actual message for "will guitar ever come back into the mainstream" questions actually is "will guitar-based late '60s-early '70s pentatonic blooze or the halcyon days of the '80s when giants clad in spandex wanked out 25-minute solos while dangling cigarettes from their mouths come back into the mainstream."

And the answer is "No," but that negative answer doesn't mean that such sounds will disappear for those who enjoy hearing them.

SkyIsCrying

Other than Country or what’s laughably considered Country these days. I was just curious and reflecting as we inch closer to the end of the first year of yet another new decade.

Obviously the 2000’s brought about a major change in mainstream music. All one has to do is take a look at the charts for the past 15 or so years, as well as award shows like the vma’s and Grammies. This goes across the board when it comes to anything mainstream these days.

Genres such as Hip hop,r&b,electronica,pop,and rap have taken over the mainstream. A mainstream that was predominantly guitar based for most of the 20th century. Even this years holiday advertisements on the tele have besound more r&b and hip hop like.

So the big question. Is this wave of r&b/hip hop/electronic pop, here to stay in the mainstream? Or will guitar based music comeback someday perhaps maybe even this decade?

Probably been discussed before but I really miss the dominance of guitar based music in the Mainstream.
More than likely guitars, bass, real drums, etc. will be a relic of a bygone era in another 30 years. Only a very few people will take the time and discipline to learn a "real" instrument. And why would they? They can simply hit a few keystrokes on their MAC and they are musician, or a band, or producer, or songwriter, or programmer, or keystroker, or whatever.

Guitarists, of which I am one, will become irrelevant to music totally.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Other than Country or what’s laughably considered Country these days. I was just curious and reflecting as we inch closer to the end of the first year of yet another new decade.
Country is whatever Country decides Country is. And laughing about Country is silly - the genre sells more hard copy than any other these days and outsells all new rock by a far measure. .

As for when/if Guitar will come back into Mainstream success? My bet is 3 O'Clock PM Tuesday Feb 6th, 2024
- Give or take a minute of so.

MrDoty

Silver Supporting Member
you Guys need to clean out your ears. guitar is all over the pop charts right now...and chords with extensions, what? it's actually musical, and melodies these days are really interesting. not a band though, or classic (ancient) rock.
never stop listening if you wanna be a great musician

(could be a uke)

There's a lot of guitar in popular music. Will it ever go back to the glory days of the 60s, 70s and 80's? Probably not....the strange phenomenon of virtuoso guitar playing and guitar heroes being featured frequently on the radio, commercials...doing guest solos on enormous multiplatinum pop albums like Thriller might never happen again. On the positive side more guitars have been sold in the past few years than ever and there's no shortage of great new players like Guthrie Govan, Rick Graham, Marco Sfogli, Tom Qualye, Martin Miller. The modern audience raised on tic toc, instagram and you tube don't have the attention span to listen to a long complicated solo. Let's be real how many people in the 70 and 80s listened to fusion and prog? About the same as now.

sidestyle

Obviously the 2000’s brought about a major change in mainstream music. All one has to do is take a look at the charts for the past 15 or so years, as well as award shows like the vma’s and Grammies. This goes across the board when it comes to anything mainstream these days.

Genres such as Hip hop,r&b,electronica,pop,and rap have taken over the mainstream. A mainstream that was predominantly guitar based for most of the 20th century. Even this years holiday advertisements on the tele have besound more r&b and hip hop like.

So the big question. Is this wave of r&b/hip hop/electronic pop, here to stay in the mainstream? Or will guitar based music comeback someday perhaps maybe even this decade?

Probably been discussed before but I really miss the dominance of guitar based music in the Mainstream.
I deny the premise of this statement. "Guitar-based music" doesn't just equal classic/traditional rock, indy rock, etc. The electric guitar is an integral component in the mix of most pop music that isn't straight hip hop/R&B/dance (and even then it can be involved). No, guitar solos aren't the main event of most music now but that doesn't mean the guitar is anywhere close to extinct. A guitar features heavily in everything from Taylor Swift to Mumford and Sons to the Roots to the Weekend to any number of genres and artists that aren't rock.

rockon

Foo Fighters? I'm pretty sure they still command (or used to before COVID) high priced tickets in very large concert venues. Still putting out new music, too. Guitar-based music is still out there. Still far better than most of the computer produced music out there. Will it dominate like it used to? Probably not. Will it have a resurgence? If people ever value musicians that can write their own songs, play their own instruments, sing their own songs, and reproduce their studio sound well in a live setting, perhaps.

fpasello

When I was young LPs were costly and you were keeping them turning 'till you wear them; but you also ended up learning every single guitar, keyboard, bass and of course vocal note by hart. Notably that was more or less true for non musicians too.
Today you have hundreds if not thousands of traces in your drives: that's great as far as your freedom of choice is concerned, but the listening experience won't ever be the same.
We spent countless hours singing along with an acoustic guitar, but you simply don't need that device anymore: it already happened, nobody is dancing on accordion music in a yard like our grandparents used to do here in Europe.

Zooey

For my money Lorde has been the best thing to come out of pop music in 30 years, you have to go back to Kate Bush to find a comparable figure. And she's pretty much managed to do it on her own terms, there can't be many chart-bothering teenagers getting to co-produce their albums in this day and age.
Wouldn't Bjork be a comparable figure?

My problem with both Lorde and Billie Eilish is that they are positioned as solo artists, but at least 50% of what I like about their music can be attributed to specific musicians they collaborate with, who are largely faceless.

pdfaust

Sadly my son who teaches high school music and loves guitar music says his students are more aware of the kid in the next high school making computer songs in his bedroom than who Aerosmith is. They get all content off streams and dont listen to the radio stations. I for one am not sure what could skew that behaviour to something else. Even Gene Simmons says Kiss would never be a known entity in this environment.

pdfaust

More than likely guitars, bass, real drums, etc. will be a relic of a bygone era in another 30 years. Only a very few people will take the time and discipline to learn a "real" instrument. And why would they? They can simply hit a few keystrokes on their MAC and they are musician, or a band, or producer, or songwriter, or programmer, or keystroker, or whatever.

I think we are held as largely irrelevant now. But I will stop playing when you take my guitar from my cold dead hands

jimgear

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah maybe it will comeback someday but not for awhile. Here in the USA we are way too intoxicated with social media and video. To become a guitar player you have to practice. Practice is solitary behavior. You have to be really dedicated or really good. Both, of course, is best. I had to give up TV to become proficient. There was always a game or a show or a movie to watch. Without TV I play allot of guitar and of course play allot better now. It boils down to how bad do you want it?

Culturally, the electric guitar will never be forefront in mainstream music ever again. But who cares - most of us never liked mainstream music anyway.

thekaiser

Gold Supporting Member

Spoken like someone whom has never tried to sit down and make a song by "simply hitting a few keystrokes." It takes just as much skill to program music as it does to play the guitar.

But electric guitar is still all over modern pop radio. It's used in countless pop and hip-hop beats (and it's typically played not sampled), Shawn Mendes is HUGE, a lot of KPOP bands play guitars and such, hell... the new Miley Cyrus album that's topping the charts is a love letter to 80's glam rock, punk, and Joan Jett (who is on the album herself).

Guitar music is in no way dead. It's more like no one wants to hear the pentatonic blues scale outside of cover songs anymore.

I hope it comes back - I just got a 'promotion' from bass to guitar in my band.
And there's this news:

Fender has sold more guitars in 2020 than any other year in its history
By Richard Bienstock September 09, 2020
Gibson, Taylor, Martin and others also report pandemic sales booms, with new users turning to the guitar as “six-string therapy”
Fender has sold more guitars in 2020 than any other year in its history | Guitar World

Give those kiddies a little time to learn their instruments, and then we'll see what happens in the world of music.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom