will i have to change nothing if i go from 10-46 to a hybrid 9-46 set

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Apr 4, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Maybe a minor intonation adjustment, and depending on how stable your neck is and how low your action is, a tweak on the truss rod. The smaller strings will fit in the nut slots ok usually.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Strat...the trem will change if it's set to float.

That's it.

4. still.ill

still.ill Member

not strat a TOM nashville style bridge

5. guitarguru1969

guitarguru1969 Member

Just check the truss rod adjustment and the intonation. If you had a good setup to begin with it should pose little threat.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

As said it will depend on your individual guitar but I just went in the opposite direction from 9-46 to 10-46 abd lo and behold nothing changed not even the relief which I thought would move at least a little.

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Still.ill - another possibility is that the .009's will rest lower in the nut slot than the .010's, so the action will be lower at the nut - possibly too low.

You're just gonna have to play it for awhile and see. If you prefer the feel of the .009's, you may have to have a tech make a nut that's correct for .009's. If it aint too low, no problem, just play it. This is sometimes a prob going to lighter strings - it's the opposite prob when switching to heavier strings they might rest too high in the nut slot!

In general I advise trying it out, and seeing if there are any probs. If you find, for instance, that the action is too low at the nut and open strings buzz, just evaluate how the rest of the guitar feels (ie - the non-open strings) and if you prefer that, switch to a nut that's better for the .009's. If the current nut works fine, then use it without any changes.

It's really great to have a guitar that's set up right. That said, back in the early '80's when I was on the road a lot, I've had to make a nut out of a piece of wood w/ torn pieces of a cigarette pack for shims just to get through the night. Wasn't great, but it got me through the night. Experiment with your guitar. When you figure out which strings you prefer, have the guitar set up around them.

Hope this helps, Dana O.