will i have to do anything drastic in setup if i go from 10's to 9's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Feb 18, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

specifically, ghs 10's to d'addario 9's on a 25.5 schecter c-1 blackjack

like i can adjust intonation myself but i really dont want to touch truss rod
    most guys say the gauge difference isn't that big to make that much of a difference set up wise
    but one guy said i should tweak the truss rod....

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

You might be alright without having to adjust the truss-rod. It depends on how perfect the setup is even before you change strings. But if the new strings cause fret buzz, time to lossen the rod. Just do it in 1/4 increments and let it settle for a day before you adjust it again. It takes time to do it right and its not a hard chore.

Or try DR Blues .010's they feel thin compared to other .010's. I just put some on a Tele and it's almost too easy to bend strings!

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

yeah i read in reviews that Dr pure blues feel like 9's... but how is that possible

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Moving from 10's to 9's is usually never a problem for me setup-wise. The only time it may cause a slight problem is with a floating bridge but a slight adjustment on that usually does the trick. I usually stick with 10's though.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Another possibility is that the smaller strings will sit lower in the nut slot, so the open strings might have a tiny buzz. If that's the case you might need to raise the nut a little with a shim, or make a new one, or .... loosen the truss rod a little.

All necks are different, there's really no way to predict how your particular neck is going to react. If the truss rod needs to be loosened a little, no problem: it's easy to do, and you'll only have to loosen it like 1/4 turn at the most.

In other words, don't worry about it. Change the strings, and if it needs any truss rod adjusting, just do it - no big deal, it'll work fine.

Good luck, Dana O.

6. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I adjust the intonation on my guitar every time I change the strings. I typically wait about a week after they're on before I do it.

7. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I'm not sure how. Maybe they have a lower tension when tuned up to pitch when compared to other manufacters strings. Making them easier to bend.

I love Gibson Vintage Reissue .010 on tele's cuz of sound and they "feel" bigger. I need more meat on a string while bending, it's just a personal thing.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Must not play many gigs then...