Will I miss my 4x12 in this situation? (cab downsizing)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KazJY, Apr 14, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I run a Marshall JCM800 2203 100W through an old Peavey (don't laugh now) oversize (taller) 4x12, which actually sounds pretty good. After being here, and building my pedal collection, I am actually very happy with the sound. Now. I never run the amp above 2 during practice, and that is louder than we can get for any gig. I am considering getting an Avatar 2x12 to downsize, and maybe zero in on my tone a bit more after doing so.

Friends are telling me that I'd probably miss the 4x12, but at these (maximum) volumes, do you, faithful TGP'ers, think I'll miss my 4x12?

2. Hydesg

Hydesg Member

definitely
    2x12 dont have as much bass

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hmmm. I've been a dedicated 2x12 man for many years, but have recently just got a 4x12 - Oh why didn't I get it sooner ! For me it is worth the extra hassle and lugging around. Much more extra depth and "interest" in the tone through a 4x12 IMO. I'm sticking with 4x12's now - Lord please bless my back ! :bow

4. Adwex

Adwex Member

I'd keep the 4x12 and get an attenuator.

5. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

A 2x12 will not really be any less loud, unless you get less efficient speakers along with it. In my experience, a closed-back 4x12 gives you tighter bottom, and that's pretty much it. Will you miss it? I don't know. (I don't.)

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Get a good Ported Thiele cab with the right speakers (one G12H30 with either a Greenback or Vintage 30), such as a Dr.Z Z-Best. You'll have all the bass you need. It still amazes me that anyone can find a venue where you can use a 4x12" cab or half stack of any kind without having major volume issues. If you can, more power to you...so to speak.

Tom

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

That's strange. I don't find I need huge volume at all to hear the benefits of a 4x12. For me, living room volumes seem to be ample to hear the benefit of a 4x12 over a 2x12.

8. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Both me and my other guitarist play (2) 4x12's each for all of our gigs. We control our volume with MV on the amp. We've never been told it's "too loud".

Stormin!

9. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I almost bought one of those old oversized Peavey 4x12 cabs but I had heard that they are made of mostly patical board not plywood like the more recent cabs. Is that true?
    What are you running for speakers in it?
    BTW, I've never heard a 2x12 that sounds as good as a 4x12 with decent speakers! I would add another 4x12 to your rig! LOL!
    I have a hard time just useing one 4x12, two 4x12's just sound so good!:dude

10. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've tried a bunch of 2x12's (Mesa Recto, Dr.Z, THD, VHT) and none of them compared to my 4x12's in the low end dept. I love the thump that I can only get from a good 4x12 and it's definitely not a volume thing. I play through 4x12's at home all day, no problem.

11. Sol

Sol Member

Like you I downsized from a 4x12 to a 4x10 closed back cab, and while I have 2x12 cabs they dont have the focus or punch of the 4x10.

The 4x10 is considerably smaller and lighter than the 4x12, but without compromise, and all the benefit of four speakers working together in that enclosed space, it's worth considering and certainly try one out if you can, you never know, it could just be the solution your looking for.

I know your looking for 2x12 cabs, its just that the move to 4x10 was such a positive move for me, I couldnt help think that the same may work for your own musical situation
    All the best with it !

12. bynt

bynt Member

I don't know if you get a good 2x12 if it will cut down on volume THAT much. I would do it just for the weight. I've got the Genz Benz G flex and it's such a good cab. They get knocked for being the George Lynch signature but I don't play anything like that and I LOVE it. It's the best bottom end for a 2x12. It's still pretty freakin loud though.

13. KazJY

KazJY Member

Hey all - thanks for the posts. Me wanting a 2x12 was for the fact that it was lighter/more portable, and I am ready to move "up" from the Peavey 4x12 (which has been with me for almost 20 years, actually). I guess it is time for something that might be better, and thought that a 2x12 might be the next "logical" step...

I don't have a way to demo one anytime too soon, though every post here is a lot of help. I am very curious about the 4x10 solution as well (I can think of 3 amps where I liked the 10" speaker versions more than the 12" versions).

FWIW, I play everything from Allman Brothers to Black Crowes type music, and blues - mostly Gibson, but I use a Strat as well)

I appreciate all the posts, and keep them coming if you got em!

(looks like I need to do some demo'ing as well)

14. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I just recently dusted off an old 4x12 I have had for 20 years. I also have a Rivera 2x12 combo and a semi-open 1x12 cab. There are many other variables here, but I forgot how great the 4x12 sounds. I will be bringing it everywhere space permits. It is actually a little quieter than my other cabs, probably due to being close-backed, different speakers. With 8dB reduction on the HotPlate, my rig sounds better than ever.

Shawn.

15. slipslick

slipslick Member

Don't know how loud you regularly play, but make sure that you get speakers in your 212 that will handle the wattage (output) of a 100w marshall.

16. townsend

townsend Member

As long as we are trying to "think outside of the (4 X 12?) box," what about one of those "oversized" 2 X 12 cabinets?

I noted one made by StoneAge custom cabinets, described as follows:

2x12 "C" [above in black-n-tan 'levant' tolex & salt-n-pepper cloth with Celestion Heritage 65's]. click here, here & here for more 2x12"C" pix.

A larger 2x12, this cab has deep, true/definitive low end without the 'boominess' some bigger 2x12's are known for.
    The 'C' excels in semiopen or fully closed rear panel situations. Available horizontal or vertical.
    {horiz}w~29 7/8" h~ 23 5/8" d~ 12" {vert} w~23 5/8" h~ 29 7/8" d~ 12" Both have tilted baffle.

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/wst_page4.html

17. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

dude if you got a avatar you could put eminence swampthings in it and you would 20 watts than a oversized mesa 4x12, 300 watt 2x12 cab or buy some black label EV's and be sitting at 600 watts in a 2x12 cab

18. Miles

Miles Member

I don't think you'll miss it at all. Fewer speakers = you pushing your amp harder for volumes. Hmmm...pushed tube power section...isn't that what we all like to hear?? Your JCM800 running at two is being abused. I say get the 2x12 and enjoy. I gig hard rock gigs with either a 2x12 or a 1x12 combo and I am set. I used to do the half-stack thing, it was nice, and then I starting gigging constantly and realized that it was foolhardy, for me.

All in my opinion. But yeah, what's the point? Your amp at 2 or lower???...madness. yeah, someone mentioned an attenuator, but to me, that's just more to set up at gigs and worrying about failure of any additional piece of gear does not equate piece of mind while I am up there playing.

A smaller cab will be fine.

19. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I just went through all of this and read all the posts to my inquiry and found a vintage Mesa 2 x 12 cab that has a thiele portion in the lower section w/ an EVM and an upper open portion with a C90 that sounds remarkably good and does a pretty good job keeping the 4 x 12's thump in the low end -- I just did a gig last night and it rocked -- just beautiful:)

20. digital jams

digital jams Member

No way, I like 4x12s too much.