Will I need anything else for DI for computer recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Vicktory, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Vicktory

Vicktory Member

My previous home recording experience is simply 4-track recorders, but now I am interested in taking the plunge into the computer-based recording world for a home studio and am planning to get the following:

MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM

Logic 7.2 Pro
    Presonus Firebox audio interface (which has 2 PreSonus microphone/instrument preamplifiers and 2 additional analog line inputs)

I already have microphones and a good low-wattage amp (Emery Microbaby) which I can mic when I want to record best-quality tone. However, for quickly recording and messing with ideas it would be easier to dispense with the amp and mics, plug the guitar in direct and use the amp modeling tools in Logic. Is what I am already planning to buy sufficient for this, eg will the instrument pre-amp on the firebox be sufficient, or will I need something like a GuitarPort, TonePort or a DI box?

Any other thoughts or suggestions from the experts out there?

Thanks

Vicktory

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Looks like your well on the way.
    The pre-amp on the PreSonus will be fine for git. input. The only thing I don't see is a dedicated recording drive. I would "strongly" recomend getting one. It will save your grief of file managment and quicker audiofile access. Heck, a nice Firewire 800 or even a 400 High RPM is pretty reasonable.

Get rockin' man. :RoCkIn

Peace,
    duffy

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Duffy's correct, you're ready to roll. He's also correct about recording to a drive other than your system drive, preferably firewire. Don't get less than 7200 RPM and stick to the brands known and used by film and audio pros. I've had nothing but good luck with LaCie and OWC, terrible luck with Maxtor. A lot of people tell me that G-Tech drives are also good.

4. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

How about if the second drive is an internal drive dedicated solely to tracking? Is that as good as using a FireWire external drive?

5. Vicktory

Vicktory Member

The new MacBook Pros only have 1 firewire port, which is a firewire 400, not 800. The Presonus audio interface will be connected to the firewire port, so what should I do for external hard-drive? It does have 2 USB ports.

In the pictures of the Presonus Firebox it looks like it has 2 fire-wire plugs in the back. Can one "daisy-chain" firewire devices, eg can I hook the external disk drive directly to the Firebox audio interface? If not, I suppose I will either have to get an external hard-drive that hooks to a USB port, or simply record to the internal hard-disk on the laptop (which is 100GB at 7200 rpm) and then when the session is over move everything to the external drive. This last option sounds like a pain in the butt to me.

What do you think is the bext external drive option?

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If it's 7200 RPM on a separate bus it should work just as well. But it's a pain in the ass to bring anywhere and when it fills up you'll want an external anyway.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> In the pictures of the Presonus Firebox it looks like it has 2 fire-wire plugs in the back. Can one "daisy-chain" firewire devices, eg can I hook the external disk drive directly to the Firebox audio interface?

I dunno... probably. Read the manual.

>> If not, I suppose I will either have to get an external hard-drive that hooks to a USB port or simply record to the internal hard-disk on the laptop

I don't know which would be better. USB is much slower than Firewire, so it would be the weakest link in your chain, but at least it's on a separate bus and doesn't involve copying and re-copying your data all the time. My feeling is that would be worth the trade-off in speed, but maybe your speed on the system drive wouldn't be so hot anyway.

8. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Hmmm. I will have to look into this one more. I daisy chain FW drives, but to do it with the interface might be a problem. USB 2.0 is faster than the old USB, but still does not compare to FW. How many tracks do you think you would be pulling on average? That makes a difference. Large track counts weighs things down. I would not do the record on the internal and transfer thing. Way too much trouble. I would put up with some slogging in USB world as opposed to that.

I will make some calls as to daisy chaining drives and interface off the same FW bus and see if I can get an answer for you on that.

Peace,
    duffy

9. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

there was a similar thread over at tweakheadz. I believe they recommended running the the firebox into the firewire jack on your pc and then plugging a firewire drive into the back of the firebox.

I plan on picking up a firebox this weekend !