Will I not like the standard 9.5 radius on American Strats

still.ill

compared to the compound radiuses on the Deluxe models?
gotten so used to how easy it is to bend without fretting out and the lower action at the higher frets

Strat87

Assuming the fretwork is good, 9.5" radius will allow low action and big bends. Setup is everything

Badside

Straight is perfectly fine, compound is just better (IMHO)

Try one for yourself. I MUCH prefer compound, but it's a subtle thing and most of my guitars don't have it. Then again those that don't have it have a flatter radius than 9.5"... (12 to 14)

Paleolith54

Assuming the fretwork is good, 9.5" radius will allow low action and big bends. Setup is everything
I agree, though I've found it easier to get a good set-up with flatter and/or compound boards. Someone more skilled might get better results.

Gearaddict

I prefer 7 1/4", 12" radius or compound which varies 9 1/2" to 14". I can't play a straight 9 1/2 to save my life!

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I don't notice a difference going from my straight (older) deluxe to a compound wormoth ... but I keep my action normal to high by today's standards.

JWDubois

I've never played a compound, although I would like to.

I have two AmStd Strats and an AmStd Tele with 9.5's and they all play great. I have the action set very low (less than 1/16" on all strings) with a nearly straight relief on all three, with no fretting out anywhere. They didn't need any fretwork or nutwork to achieve this.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd buy some 2011-2013 AmStd necks and store them away, I like them so much.