will it change my tone????!!!???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by youandme, Feb 16, 2012.

1. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

hi,
    i have an s type guitar...it has vintage wiring,meaning that the neck and middle pu's have a tone knob each,and the bridge pu does not...i don't like the bridge pu and i think that a tone knob will help...if i rewire to modern,meaning the neck and middle pu's share a tone knob,will it change the tone of them? if so,how?
    thanks
    y

2. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

That's how I have my late 70's Strat wired. I didn't notice any change in tone. Being able to adjust the tone in my bridge pickup is really nice.

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

The difference will be in the between position and instead of having both tone controls loading down the circuit there will only be one. Little more clarity.

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

It will change their tone . . for the better. Actually it won't affect the pickups by themselves at all but it will affect the neck/middle parallel position - it will no longer be double-loaded by two tone pots and will brighten up if you do this.

However, now the bridge/middle *will* be double-loaded and will get muddier. This can be avoided by running the 1st tone control on the neck only and the 2nd tone control on the bridge only (middle pup gets no tone control.) That's a pretty common mod. You could also go master volume/master tone/blender wiring. Both of these options avoid double-loading.

5. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

thank you so much...i was worried that it will change the pickups by themselves... :)