Will Marshall be doing a reissue handwired 50w Plexi anytime?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kiwi, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I was happy to see them reissue the 20w and the 100w models in handwired versions, but I'm a little surprised they haven't done the famous 50w Plexi yet.

Does anyone know if Marshall has announced that they plan to?

Kiwi

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Sorry I don't see the point? The cost difference would be minor at best and it is only 3db quieter. Pull two tubes and you're there cost nothing. If they have to tool up for new transformers and all that it would end up costing even more as they will sell less. In other words don't bet on it. Now that I have said all that it is remotely possible that they might do a JTM50 with rectifier tube as it is so rare as to be near unobtainium.

3. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Only Marshall knows.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I had a guy come over to try out a BW cab I recently sold, and he had a 1967 50 watt Plexi with him to try out. That was a kick ass amp on either channel, no doubt.

While Marshall probably won't do a 50 watt, they should, as they can get someone who won't buy a 100 to buy a 50... like me, for example... although I plan to work on rectifying that in the near future.

5. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I'd say they ARE working on it... While Mitch Colby cannot come right out and state it for the record, I think it's just a matter of time before they do the 50 watter. They'd sell a bunch of them, no doubt..........

6. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

It's not about 3db. It's also not about money.
    Some people prefer the way a 50 sounds compared to the 100. It's a different animal.

S.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Your telling me? I have two a 69 JMP 50 and a 68 JMP 50 that doesn't change my reasoning. But I hope they do it, they certainly aren't asking for my opinion.

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I would think that Marshall is working on *something* in the 50 watt range. I agree with the assessment that it seems a little pointless when the 100watt pretty much covers that territory. Yes, a different animal, but all these Marshall's are designed to be LOUD, so doing the same thing with 50 watts doesn't make alot of business sense.

Mitch Colby is many things, but he is VERY good at holding his cards close to the vest. When he rolls something out, it seems both suprising and obvious at the same time.

And he lurks frequently on some of these boards, (those of you who know him on VoxTalks and the Plexi palace) and he does very much listen to suggestions, and what the community wants.

EP

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

the 50 watt is a very different sounding amp than the 100 watt, I'd be surprised if they didn't build it eventually.

10. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I'm telling you? No, not really. If you own two 60's 50 watts heads and cant understand why they are different than a 100 w/ 2 tubes pulled out, well, maybe it's time to sell them or have them checked up on.

S.

11. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Not quite. The old 50W plexis had relatively whimpy output transformers that saturated very easily. Pull two tubes in a 100W head and you'll be hitting bricks with a limp biskit trying to get it to grind.

IMO, the grinding OT is key to the old Marshall 50W sound.

BK

12. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

I think Marshall will do it sooner or later, after all the plexi 50W is one of the best amps ever built.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I like it when they saturate. I don't think they are any quieter than a 100 watter though, maybe less headroom.;)

14. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

As long as they believe that to be a true statement, they will go ahead and do it... ;)

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

- It's all about the marketing and ownership of a classic amp. 50w Plexi HW RI = lines out the door to buy one at full retail.

- I hear ya on the JTM50 thing. Till then, the Germino Club 40 is the closest possible version.

= K

16. direneed

direneed Member

Blockhead also makes a JTM50 replica.