Will my amp blow up a Cannabis Rex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aquadog, Feb 16, 2012.

1. aquadog

aquadog Member

It's about time I replace the speaker in my Sunn T50c. Tonally, and for my purposes, a cannabis rex sounds like the perfect fit, but I don't know if I might potentially blow it up.

The Sunn is 50w RMS, stock with a celestion GT-75.
    98% of the time I'll be using it with an attenuator, with at least 6db of attenuation. I like the idea of a slightly more efficient speaker, but am afraid I might blow out the cone at those occasional louder levels.

I see the cannabis rex is also rated at 50w, are they conservatively rated for a bit more wiggle room, or would I be taking a big risk?

2. doc

doc Member

Based on your description, I think the Rex would be a fairly safe choice. If on those 2% occasions you turn it all the way up for a period of time and hit it hard, you might be at risk. I'd probably go for it with the plan of always either using the attenuator or keeping the volume below 8. I usually try to have the speaker have a rating of at least 1/3 above the amp (so at least a 75 watt rated speaker for a 50 watt amp), but I'll occasionally use a speaker rated for less than the amp if I want some speaker distortion, just keep the amp output on a leash.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Not sure, but keep the video cam rolling, just in case!