Will my Voodoo Pedal Power power all these pedals????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Casey, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Casey

Casey Member

I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2, with 8 inputs on the front.....I'm going to soon have 10 pedals on my board to power. If I run some 9v splitter cables from PP2 will it work???....or will they not be getting the correct voltage??? Helpo, helpo!!!!

-Casey

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Im betting it wont work, the pp2 has a limited Ma output when you run more than 8 pedals from it youll find that one wont work.

3. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

i've successfully run a daisy chain (froma godlyke powerall) from one of the outputs to power more than one pedal, so something like that might work.

4. Casey

Casey Member

5. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

Right now I have the following pedals on my board all being powered by a single Pedal Power 2:
    Teese Pic Wah
    Prescription Yardbox
    Fuzz Face Clone
    Big Muff Clone
    Barber Tone Press
    HBE Power Screamer
    Timmy
    Chorus Ensemble (use wall wart plugged into side of Pedal Power)
    VL Tremolo
    Sweetsound Mojo Vibe
    BJF Honey Bee
    Red Witch
    Maxon AD-999
    Strobostomp
    Boss DD-20
    Boss DD-20
    Line 6 Verbzilla
    Loooper

You have to be creative and know which pedals you can power off of a daisy chain (overdrives, fuzz, etc.).

rickkane32

6. SHIFT

SHIFT Member

+1 to what rickkane32 posted. I have moved pedals around on my board using daisy-chains and never had a problem. I think that each output of the PP2 can handle 100mA. If you have the PP2+, output #5 & 6 can handle 200mA. As rickkane32 pointed out, overdrive, distortion, and fuzz pedals draw the least current. These are the ones that are your best bet for daisy chaining, as long as it doesn't create a ground loop hum. In my testing a Fulltone FD2 pulled 6.3mA, a Fat Boost pulled 0.9mA, and an AC Booster pulled 4.1mA. The analog modulation pedals will pull quite a bit more current, but still nothing near 100mA. So, they can be daisy chained as well, again, as long as it doesn't create a ground loop hum. For reference, some of the analog modulation pedals I have tested are the Boss CE-2 (11mA) & DC-2 (31mA), the Fulltone Choralflange (14mA), & Supa-trem (6.5mA), Ibanez ADL (28mA), and the Red Witch Medusa (~20mA). The real gas guzzler was the Strobostomp. It tested at 65mA, which is consistant with pedals that have some type of digital processing going on. Digital processing pulls a lot of current. I would probably leave pedals that have digital processing going on alone on their own output. Good Luck, Skip

7. msp

msp Member

i have the origonal pedal power (only 80ma an output) i have used it every day for 5-6 years now. I haven't ran into too many problems and i have daisy chained effects on it many times. most effects state a adaptor requirement of 100ma but they only use anywhere from 1-40 (in my experience)

just get in the habit of making sure that the actual mili amperage needed per output doesn't exceed the specs on the power supply

general rule of thumb: if the pedal uses 9 volt batteries it doesn't draw too many m. amps (two per out put should easily work, no problems .....as long as they require 9volt dc and under 40-50 ma per pedal)

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I do the daisy-chain thang with my PP2, works just fine...

9. Casey

Casey Member

I know this is a stupid question...but it there a way I can test to see how many milliamps each pedal is pulling....I have a mulitmeter if that helps!!

-Casey

10. SHIFT

SHIFT Member

You just have to set up your multimeter's test leads in series with the input power. The test leads that I use have alligator clips at the end. You will need to either cut one of the cables supplied with the PP2 in half, or buy two pre-made cables with the 2.1mm barrel end on one side only, which should be available at your local electronics supply. The pre-made cables I buy are Philmore MDL#48-218 (about $3.00). They have one right angle barrel connector with 6' of lead. If you cut one of the cables supplied with the PP2, you will need to strip back the insulation, and separate the conductors.

Connect one cable to the PP2, and connect another cable to your pedal to be tested. Using a wire nut, tie the conductors connected to the tips of the barrel together. Clamp an alligator test lead to each conductor connected to the sleeve of each barrel. Turn on your PP2, your meter, and the pedal (with a cable plugged into the input jack). Adjust your meter to "mA", and you should have it.

Good Luck, Skip

11. Casey

Casey Member

12. msp

msp Member

thanks thats good to know