Will one of these cases fit a double-cut les paul jr.?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulcr28, Feb 16, 2012.

1. paulcr28

paulcr28 Member

would it be a good decision to go ahead and order the sg case? ill be picking up my les paul jr. next weekend. thanks!

2. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I think it would be a good decision to contact either Gibson or the case company to get the dimensions. Les Pauls have different body dimensions than SGs. I have a Les Pauls Special Double Cutaway and it came in an LP case. My understanding is that SG and LP cases are not interchangeable.

3. hank

hank Member

I've stored DC's in LP Standard cases many times. I simply put a small folded towel on top of the body to fill in the extra depth. No harm.

If you're looking for a lifetime case, yes, dig deeper by contacting case companies for a perfect fit case.

4. Clump

Clump Member

I tried mine in an SG case and the case is too small.

5. paulcr28

paulcr28 Member

I looked up the dimensions online for the gator sg case and the tkl 8824 (made for juniors/specials).. lower bouts on both are 13" and depths are the same as well, sg case is just a touch wider at the upper bout. I did order the sg case last night, but if it doesnt fit. I'll just put it up in the emporium.

6. Clump

Clump Member

I tried it again to be sure. My SG case is "Gibson Gear". The Jr waist is in the wrong place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Jr was 1 of the ZZounds special issues that came with a Gibson HSC:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully the 1 you ordered will work out for you.

7. paulcr28

paulcr28 Member

oh wow!.. i should maybe call them and tell them to switch it to the lp case.. thanks for the pics

8. paulcr28

paulcr28 Member

does anyone have pics with a double-cute junior in a les paul case?

*update: just got off the phone with customer service at wayfair.com. cancelled the sg case. the rep was super awesome ... long story short, im getting the tkl 8824 without the wait time :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

Yep, the 8824 is correct for a DC Jr (and a Hamer Special). One thing most people don't think of is the INTERIOR shape of the case. The cases desinged specifically for a LP have different angles to accomodate the arched neck of a LP. A JR doesn't have an arched neck so id doesn't lay flat in the LP case. This is why some people put towels etc. inside the case - to compensate for the LP neck angle.

10. paulcr28

paulcr28 Member

awesome, you guys were very helpful