Will P90's fit into a Jazzmaster route?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TattooedCarrot, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

With a custom P90 pickguard, is the stock routing in a JM big/deep enough to fit P90's? I picked up a nice JM body from MJT and would prefer P-90's. I like the look of the JM not so much the traditional tone of one. More like a Fano JM6. Trying to figure my pickup options out. I'm familiar with the Lollar and Novak JM/P90 offerings, but the bridge still seems a little thin/weak on the demos I've checked out. If real P90's don't work I'm probably going to just get Duncans - Quarter Pound bridge and Antiquity I neck.

Thanks in advance for any input.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. LaXu

LaXu Member

3. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

If you already have the body, you could just measure the routs to see if they're deep enough for a normal P90. 1/2" is the minimum depth I'd want for a P90, around 5/8" to 3/4" would be ideal to me.

There are also JM sized P90s from some winders. I'd probably give Mojotone a shot, their P90s are usually pretty good ime...gotta be better than the Lollars imho.

4. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Supporting Member

“I'm familiar with the Lollar and Novak JM/P90 offerings, but the bridge still seems a little thin/weak on the demos I've checked out.” — OP

Where do you generally keep your pickups height-wise, OP? Saddens me to read this as I was thinking of ordering the Lollars.

Mr Fingers likes this.
  5. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Maybe you could find some used pickups taken from a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster? Those are supposedly P-90s.

joesnewmatch and Joshlespaul1952 like this.
  6. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Pickup height is everything when it comes to P90 tone, in my experience. Because it's a drag to adjust height on some P90 guitars, many players do not try different setups, which is too bad. You can get overloaded, or for that matter, too thin tones by having them set wrong.

7. TattooedCarrot

I typically have the bridge up pretty close to the strings. So far, the Duncan Quarter Pound jazzmaster is the beefiest I've heard compared to Lollar, Novak, and Mojotone. Those others sound good, but they're still not quite real P90 beefy to me, from the sound clips and Youtube videos I've heard (they are few.) The body is not here yet so I'll check it out when it gets here, but I'm not sure what pickguard to get yet. I think the routing looks a bit shallow just from pics.

Joshlespaul1952 likes this.
  8. TattooedCarrot

Wrap this up by letting everyone know that, no, P90's do not fit in a standard Jazzmaster route. The routes are too shallow. They are fine in diameter, but need a little more depth as P90's are definitely taller than JM pickups.