Will phantom power hurt my mic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by localmotion411, Feb 25, 2008.

1. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I realize it won't hurt a mic that needs phantom power, but I am using an M-Audio ProjectMix that has one button for phantom power and when switched on is applied to all inputs. When recording two channels at once, phantom power switched on, one mic a condenser and one mic an SM57, will I have problems with the 57?

2. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

No, you should be fine.
    Just don't run phantom to a ribbon mic as I'm pretty sure it'll fry it.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

No, I don't think so.

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

You will be fine. I do this all the time. I run two Focusrite Octopres with phantom power on/off on all inputs at once. The OH condensers require it but all the other mics on the kit are dynamic. It works just fine.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I figured. I couldn't imagine them possibly building a $1,500 pre/interface/console with the capability of only running one type of mic at a time.

6. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Just a little clarification....

Ribbon mics are dynamic mics, and the grand majority of them will not be harmed by phantom power. The ribbon mic/phantom power problem largely stems from how the output transformers of the mics are set up, if they are center tapped (and the tap is grounded), then you run into problems. It's best not to 'hot plug' them though, and yes, if you have a cable fail, then you can send a big transient into the ribbon.

Cheers

Kris

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

It's worth checking the manufacturer's recommendation for your particular ribbon mic.

The very popular Nady RSM-5 ribbon mic (for $80, it's a cheap date, thus its popularity) has a specific warning to NOT use phantom power on it, or it will fry the ribbon.

If I owned other mics in the Nady RSM series, I'd sure check the instructions.

=K