Will Playing Slide Be Easier On Arthritic Hand ?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by CA$H FLOW, Apr 22, 2016.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Recently developed arthritis in my fretting hand thumb, it's not too bad right now but I don't want it to get much worse. Considered quitting guitar, but I'm stubborn and was thinking that slide would be much easier on my hand.
    What do you you guys think ?

2. windmill

windmill Member

I have sympathy with your problem

Playing slide is my fallback plan as well.

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

It should be. Only one way to find out!
    Good luck.

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Lap steel is another choice, lots of advantages with lap steel like slanting the bar,

5. Janus Alfador

Janus Alfador Member

If you're playing guitars with nickel/silver frets, switching to stainless steel frets could help a lot in staving off arthritis, or its worsening. Stainless Steel frets are a lot slicker, easier to play, to bend strings on, and to do string vibrato with. They demand far less from a player's fingers, and produce far less strain by the end of a play session.

I would have using SS frets as your now plan, if not already using them, so that maybe you won't need a further fallback plan, or won't need one nearly as soon.

6. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I do already have SS frets on my #1 guitar. I'm just thinking that over time slide will be far less pressure and exertion on my fretting hand thumb.

Anyone else have suggestions or comments on this topic ?

7. kimock

kimock Member

Bottleneck will definitely take a lot of stress and pressure off your left thumb.
    Sounds nice too.
    Go for it!

8. JonR

JonR Member

There's also a school of thought that says the thumb on your fretting hand should be exerting no (or very little) pressure anyway. I don't fully agree, but certainly fretting action is supported by bracing the guitar with your right arm as well as thumb on back of neck.

But in any case - as steve says, slide is a great sound, and a technique well worth developing for its own sake, regardless of the condition of your hands.

9. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have had the same condition in the thumb + loss of half my left middle finger. There is supplementation that can greatly help the thumb. There are fairly recent threads on that. PM me for more info. I could hardly play (or sleep) for a few years due to the thumb, but between supplements and natural progression that is over.
    Slide IS definitely easier on the thumb (as is lap steel) and both are really great ways to make expressive music. I now wear the slide on the half middle finger and play entirely in Open E.

10. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Awesome I'm gonna send you a message right away.