Will Raconteurs put out another album?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Zingeroo, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I love love love this band. Much more so than White Stripes or Jack White solo.

So was this a "project" thing for White, or will they ever return to the studio?

2. BUK

BUK Member

MAN I hope so! Both are fantastic explorations of the 60's 70's vocabulary with some world class pop writing! Brendan Benson is great as a solo artist too!

3. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I hope so too.. they always described it as just a bunch of friends who got together in their spare time. I liked seeing Jack White play with a proper rock band.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Highly doubtful but I'd sure love to hear it!

5. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I sure hope so. Carolina Drama should be more popular than Sweet Home Alabama.

6. eazywind

eazywind Supporting Member

I sure hope so. The first album/cd is one of my favs

7. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

Both albums have good stuff on them. They were great live.

Sure would love to see something new from them.

8. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I can't believe how great that first album is. I have to temper my enthusiasm for it when recommending it to folks for fear of hyping it up too much or dismissing it as hyperbole. It's up their with some really top albums for me.

Too bad both their albums are brickwalled to death. I found this highly disappointing since Jack seems to be keenly aware of the production process all the way to the final medium...either he doesn't have control, prefers it that way, or has just conceded to the market. It's a major bummer though.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Yup - him and Dave Grohl - out carrying the torch for "old school" and then they let the mastering guys do that. They might as well just save the bucks and use a Zoom.

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I like them too. Disappointing in the brickwall thing though. Maybe JW will get a remaster at some point if enough fans let him know. His last album was 2" tape, not too bricked.

11. Trea

Trea Member

I would love it. I never really liked the White Stripes and his solo stuff is just ok to me but this band and The Dead Weather I absolutely love.

12. G Man

G Man Member

Would also love to see more from them in the future.

On a separate but related note, what does "brickwalled to death" mean, it is a term I have not heard before.

13. derekeugene

derekeugene Member

One of the best live shows I've ever seen. Definitely hoping for some new music at some point.

14. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Would be awesome, but I'm not hopeful. I wonder if him and Benson butted heads at some point and the most recent tour(2013?) was a feeling out stage for a possible new album.

Doubtful we'll ever see a remaster. JW doesnt like being called on his albums being brickwalled, even when confronted with facts. He got in an internet pissing match over Icky THump. I don't think either Rac's album sounds too band, anyway.

15. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

I would love it!

I saw Brendan open for the White Stripes back in 2002. Jack came out and played with Brendan on a few songs and they were great.

16. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Would also like to see remasters.

17. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Yeah, and I'm genuinely curious how it all goes down. Wondering if they don't have control or they themselves want it as well. It just seem at odds with what they seem to be promoting. They're both clearly interested in the recording process.

I remember when the last GN'R album came out sans an aggressive mastering and people were hopeful that if it did well enough it could help to turn the tides on the brickwalling of most every major release.

It sucks because these are the two guys that would have the most chance to effect a change in this area. They actively promote and talk about the idea of extracting the most out of their recording process, but the ball is dropped in the final product.

Dave's documentary was very interesting to me, in general, but more in the sense of how much it focused on the Neve console and other techy aspects of the recording process that would normally only be of interest to us music nerds. I thought this was great...managing to make something so niche be so successful in a way that probably only he could have done in this current market. It's just all the more frustrating when all the opportunity was there and nothing got moved forward on the mastering front.

I feel a big opportunity is being missed.

18. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Nothing to add but that delicious Subject:line. It was about to expire from my Subject:line inventory, so I had to use it. And this was the only opening I saw that it might work on...

:)