Will re-fret my CC#12 considerably affect its value ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tuumbaq, May 9, 2015.

1. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Ive had this guitar for a while now and loOOOve everything about it .The tone is to die for, neck shape is perfect and overall its a very inspiring guitar to play but still on the fence about the fret size...They are so tiny and low compare to every of other guitars, I sorta, kinda, wanna , try to like that size, part of it seems smoother, more woody feeling than bigger frets if that makes sense but every time I pick up another guitar I notice it big time.

Im worried it might transform the guitar into something I dont like playing and tone wise as well...Crazy thinking ?

Not planning to sell that guitar anytime soon but still wondering if It would affect its value and most importantly, would you guys do it ?

2. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Yes it will affect the value, no I wouldn't do it but I prefer small frets. If the situation was the other way around I would just sell the guitar I think and buy one with frets I like that I can play first. If you do get a fret job make sure you keep the nibs.

3. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Yeah , Ive got a highly skilled luthier, Im sure he would do a great job,part of me like the different feel but cant help but wonder how glorious would be with bigger frets . . .

4. TomDev

TomDev Member

Depending on your style of playing, tiny frets can make some things a struggle. If you love the guitar and plan to keep it, change the frets. Otherwise, keep it stock, sell it and get something that feels right..

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

My advice is based on the thought you have several guitars. I like them to all be slightly different.
    Leave it alone accept it for what it is. It will make you play differently and that can be a good thing. Now was it an old guitar with worn frets I'd say yes, getting ready to do a 76 firebird myself that has some down to .o21 high. It can't be that bad as you bought it, so you must have liked it.

Da Geezer likes this.
  6. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

yeah , that make sense

7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

CC 12 is the gold top, right? Just refret it. It's a newer Gibson, you will lose money on it anyways if you bought it new, and a refret will further reduce it further by $0 - $200 at most. Why even keep a guitar like this if you aren't fully happy with it? Heck, some guys change out the pickups on their CCs. Do you think they care about broken solder joints when it's time to sell?

8. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Not sure I get your judgemental tone but whatever man, I paid 3500$ for the guitar and it was only a few few months hold. I have several other fantastic guitars, this one is my favorite by a long shot but like I said it in my FIRST post, it feels weird going back to any of my other guitars...

I played a few collectors choice that I didnt like at all, just like some other reissue and until I come across another great one at the same price , I see now reason why I should get rid of the guitar... You gave a terrible analogy, solder joints and re-fret have nothing in common, like at all.What also worries me if how the guitar will play and sound after a re-fret.

9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

You asked for advice, Plains is right on. Not sure where you see a tone???

Custom Shop Gibsons bought new lose value on resale, just like a car.

If you have a quality refret done, it will be the same guitar with different frets. Maybe some golden ear people will tell you the tone will change, but not really, unless a fret isn't seated correctly, etc and it affects the vibration.

The reason to get rid of the guitar is that you will be changing something that will definitely ding you in the resale department. If you flip guitars regularly, change your mind, etc, then this should be a consideration. It sounds like you bought it used, so you are probably in the zone of getting what you have into it back out of it, but if you refret I bet you would have to drop to around 3K to move the thing, at least for 10 years or so until a refret becomes a more normal occurrence, however that may never be the case for "collector's" instruments like these that will have at least a large majority not heavily gigged.

So basically, if you get a quality refret, it will play like whatever a setup guitar with those frets plays like, and should sound similar. BUT guitars are funny and sometimes don't respond like we'd imagine.

I would say if you like it, keep playing it and you'll get used to it, or sell it and look for one more like what you're looking for. Do you know of a skilled tech in the BC area? This is another thing to consider...

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You've already answered your own question, but maybe just don't realize it yet? There is also no judgmental tone in Tim Plains' reply, or at least I didn't feel it?? He just said it like it is. I'm also not hip enough to know what CC#12 is

big mike likes this.
  11. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

All good man , thanks for the input, I mis-understood your post :console

Just played it a bunch today and AB'ed it against my other guitar, I like how "different it feels" , its a smoother, less agressive guitar if that makes any sense... and now Im even more confuse ! lol

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

It sounds like that is it's thing. Why do you need a bunch of guitars that play and sound the same?

I like each guitar to have its own feel. I string some with heavier strings, some have little frets, set up the terms floating, no trem, etc. On and on. Every tool has a job and paints a different color. They make you play differently depending on the quirks of each one! Maybe this one will never be a "speed" playing guitar, but more of a soulful kind of thing.

One thing about smaller frets, they do work better with a little higher action.

13. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I have a CC #12A as well and the narrower fretwires were a surprise when it arrived. While they are different, I don't find them "tiny" at all and have no problem with bending. You might try adjusting your action to get what you need.

Replacing the fretwires would be a turnoff for most prospective buyers. A CC LP is a special thing and most people would want one just as Gibson built it. I agree with you that the #12 is a pretty special player, it really is different in feel and sound (because of the custom buckers).

I don't know if you dislike the height or width of the fretwire (definitely narrower than the usual LP), but you could go slightly higher if you really can't stick with the existing frets. IIRC, the fretwire ends are not integrated with the binding making refretting easier. CC #12 is a remake of Henry J's own goldtop, which was undoubtedly refretted at some point in its life with the smaller fretwire.

14. FennRx

FennRx Member

It's the Henry j cc.

Doubt resale will be high on that one anyways

InkStained likes this.
  15. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

yeah , the width is alright but I could use a little taller frets... the guitar is fine, its just me wondering "what if" it had taller frets like all my other guitars

Thanks for the inputs os far guys

16. brandass

brandass Member

What s/he said.

17. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Is this a guitar that your intend to put in a display case, or one that you plan to play? The chances if it increasing or even retaining it's value are nil.

It it's truly a keeper that you plan to play, I say refret it and play it until the frets fall off. Then refret it again.

Nico. likes this.
  18. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

this

RJLII likes this.
  19. straycat113

straycat113 Member

A re-fret should have little to none impact on the tone of the guitar. But since it is basically a new recreation of Henry J's personal 57 Goldtop, throwing medium jumbos or the frets of your choice on it, will hurt the value of the guitar more then you may think. If it was an original 57 GT that had barely any wire left to play on a re-fret most likely wouldn't hurt the value as much as doing it to a new guitar, especially changing fret size. Re-frets have become much more acceptable with collectors then years ago, as you need tires to drive and a well done job wouldn't have much of an impact.

I personally would sell the guitar to someone who is going to enjoy it and who is much more accustomed to frets and a board like this and go buy a guitar that has the specs I enjoy. Not being a Gibson player I had no idea of all the CC models they have as I saw they are in the 30's. I f I were crazy enough to spend 7K on a new guitar the one that really peaked my interest was cc#10, which is Tom Scholz's modded out 68 that he played with Boston.

I am personally finished with all the insanity of outrageous guitar prices that 90%+ of your average gigging player would never be able to afford. If you look at things from the view of a collector, the crazy part is that The Henry J model might be a very collectable model down the road for numerous reasons lol. I have seen it happen before.

20. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

If you plan to keep and play and gig the guitar, refret it. If not, then don't.

I had my 98 R8 refretted with SS Jescar 57110 jumbos *the horror* but I bought the guitar new, have played the crap out of it and doubt I will ever sell it. I knew how I wanted the guitar to play and achieved what I wanted.

56Tweed likes this.