1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

will SLO be too much amp!? or a go the path of a 50, 30 watter!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ptgold, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ptgold

ptgold Member

Alright keep in mind that Ill be using the UAttenuator. I dont gig...Im just a living room rockstar (in my own mind!).

I love the SLO but feel that it would be overkill for my apartment even with the UA. Id also feel sort of guilty for having so much amp.

If Soldano put out the SLO in a 50 watt version Id be all over it but they dont....and NO....the HR50 is not the same thing.

Can anybody recommend a badass 50 watt amp that will serve me well for my hobbying? Or should I just go ahead with the SLO?

Ive been hearing about nice 50 watter like Egnater Mod 50, CAA OD50, Splawn Competition, Marshall Vintage Modern, Renegade 50 etc. some 30 watters like the Badger 30, Bad Cat 30.

any other recommendations or similair experiences?

2. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

You would be far better to consider a much lower wattage amp as attenuators suck the life out of most amps . It does not need a lot of watts for pedals to sound good and unless you can crank an amp up it usually won't sound good . Not a big difference between 30-50 watt BTW , I'm suggesting 5-15 watt max and even that is loud for home use .

I'm sure a lot will chime in with suggestions

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I once had the HR50 Plus model... very good 2 channel Soldano without any 'verb. At that time I was trying to copy the Clapton sound when he was using the SLO and came VERY close with the HR50+... I say give that one a try with a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

4. jnug

jnug Member

you can drop the slo to 50 watts by pulling the outer two power tubes. this is how i run it when i'm at home and ususlly end up running it at 50 watts when i'm with a band. IMO it will still be two loud for an apartment. but running it in 50 watts and using an attenuator might get you to where you want to be. luckly i don't have to use an attenuator at home.

5. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

It amazes me how many bedroom players have to have a high powered amp , go out and buy one only to realise after playing it for an hour ( or less ) that it is too loud and does not sound good for home use . Take it from me and a lot of fellows on here that have been down that same path......look at some quality low power amps before you drop the bucks on something you will regret getting . I'm just trying to give you some good advice and something to think on before you decide .

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

I GOT A SOLDANO slo and other loud amps and at home i play through a 10w Marshall combo..makes sense

7. mikefair

mikefair Member

I'm so glad I don't live in your apartment building! ;)

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

I love my SLO's master volume. It's one of the best I have ever used. That said, the magic of the SLO is it's balls and articulation/definition when smoking at higher volumes. However, you can get some killer tones at lower or moderate volume too.

Is there really that much of a difference between 50 and 100 watts at 2:00am in an apartment? What do they say...3% or something like that. When I hear "low wattage" amps, 50 watts is definitely not my first thought. I'm thinking 12 and below. Even a 12 watt amp is loud at 2:00am. At least my Greer (at 15 watts) is.
    Just my .02

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I have to disagree with you that the SLO has a great master volume. It's good, but not great. The Bogner XTC/Uber or Diezel VH4/Herbert all have much better master volume designs. In order for the SLO to sound it's best, it needs to be played loud: at least 11:00 on the MV.

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i think the truth is, no tube amp is at it's full potential at tv volumes. that said, i use my komet 60 in the bedroom all the time without issue. its a great amp. a 5 watt amp would still be too loud to crank without annoying someone in the next room. luckily my wife doesnt mind when i crank it up every once in a while

11. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Yep, I have a Herbert and a SLO in my bedroom. The Diezel sounds great at any volume and the SLO sounds incredible turned half way up...so good that it's the benchmark tone that I try to get other amps close too. Cranking the mids on the herbert made that amp become my favorite multi-purpose channel switcher I have ever heard.

12. billm408

billm408 Member

Why have a Ferrari if you're only going to drive it in the parking lot?
    SLO's a great amp, but IME, you need to open it up before you hit the sweet spot. Even with a UA or the best MV, you're choking off some of the best stuff that the amp offers. The difference between 50w and 100w is more about clean headroom and pretty negligible in volume. IMO there's a lot of 10-20w amps out there that might better suit your needs.

13. jnug

jnug Member

the only thing that is going to be ok in an apartment building at 2:00 a.m is headphones.

i will not play my SLO unless i can run the volume at 12:00, i like running it at 50 watts cause it knocks some db off. which isn't much but is just right for my needs.

14. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

15. jay42

jay42 Member

I'd be tempted to contact Bob Reinhardt. He has developed a lot of (33W) models in the last two years, including at least one high gain amp.

16. bilbal

bilbal Member

That's cool. If there weren't differing opinions, there would be nothing to talk about. I respect your thoughts. However, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said that I think the SLO's master volume is one of the best I have ever used - an opinion. I think the best (IMO) was on my Dr. Z Maz38Sr. I have absolutely zero difficulty finding killer tones at any volume with my SLO. Of course I would rather open her up to 1:00 or 2:00 and let her breathe but the places I play don't require nor do they appreciate those volumes. I usually play around 11:00ish. There is definitely a sweet spot on her like all other amps.

17. hackett

hackett Member

If the subject is volume + home usability + you can jam loudly with your buddies if it pops up. mesa boogie express. 50 watt amp, two channel, goes down to 5 watts. Just get the head and experiment with cabs.(not crazy about the speakers in their cab) Not too expensive either. ps. normally not a big boogie guy. Have a dc-5 and use it sometimes, but....

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

I agree. A buddy of mine has the 5:50. I'm not much of a Boogie guy either but I have to say that amp is impressive - very versatile and full of killer tones. All at a pretty reasonable price.