Will somebody please explain the Russian 6N2P tubes to me

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by BigPapiFan, Dec 18, 2009.

1. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I keep seeing Ebay listings for 6N2P (6H2Pi)tubes where they are described as 12AX7A / ECC83 replacements. But I have read that they are, in fact not a straight drop-in replacement and that you have to modify your amplifiers to use them. What the real story?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I can't read the russian on the data sheets,but it looks like it's screen is pin 9,which is the heater center tap on a 12AX7.
    You would modify the heater wiring and separate pins 4 & 5 for sure.
    Beyond that someone who has used them needs to pipe up.

3. SysCrusher

SysCrusher Member

4. SirElwood

SirElwood Member

It is not screen. It is internal shield between triodes. And it should be connected to ground.

Nice tubes btw. and with a little heater modification great alternative to 12AX7 tubes. Very low noise and "smooth" sound. And cheap! I bought 16 tubes for under 30€ inc. shipping. I like them alot.

5. elkym

elkym Member

Yeah-- instead of connecting pin 9 to one side of the 6.3v taps and the other to the pins 4 and 5-- pin 4 will connect to one side of the heater taps and pin 5 to the other. Then ground pin 9. Or don't-- I'm not sure it'd really matter. Audiophile types like the 6n2p and 6n1p tubes. They're fairly low gain, I'm told-- 12ax7 is 100, 12at7 is 70, 12au7 is 19
    The 6n1p is supposedly 24-25 or so. Not sure about the 6n2p.

If you'd like to be able to just sub them in-- you can install a switch... here's a thread from a little while ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=636947

6. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member