• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Will somebody PLEASE make this F***ING Pedal?????

CJReaper

OK, here is my situation. I play in a "classic" Metal cover band (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, etc) and although I use a Marshall JCM800 2204 half stack, I need to plug into the low gain input for cleans and solo boosts. So, I need a pedal that NAILS the classic early to mid 80s high gain Marshall sound with TONS of midrange grind. I have tried:

Barber DDSS (2003 model, PERFECT tone but just shy on the gain)
Barber Dirty Bomb (great but too fuzzy in the mix)
MI Audio CB (v1) (too fuzzy & scooped sounding, fades in the mix)
Menatone KOB (not enough UMPH and I don't like dual switch pedals)
HBE Full Metal Jacket (meh)
T-Rex Bloody Mary (too modern and sterile)
Boss Metal Zone (blech!!)
Subdecay Blackstar (too fuzzy)
ProCo Rat (several versions, including the "good" ones, hated them all)

I'm finding that most "high-gain" pedals usually fade in the mix, even though I don't max out the gain (usually keep it at 3 o'clock). I AM BEGGING ANY PEDAL BUILDER READING THIS!!!! Can you PLEASE build a pedal that gets damn close to say:

Accept: Balls to the Wall
Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind
Slayer: South of Heaven

All Marshall tones, and all have that big, growling power tube grind. Not fuzzy, not overly compressed, and not scooped in the slightest. Hell, you could call it Balls-in-a-Box, lol! I know that NO PEDAL will emulate the real thing exactly, but why can't someone make a HIGH GAIN pedal that stands out in the mix and growls more than buzzes? For features, nice and simple:

True Bypass
ONE footswitch
Level, Gain and Tone, maybe one extra gain or voicing switch but nothing fancy.

There are plenty of pedals for the "Blooze" and the "Brootalz" but I can't find any pedal that just peels paint off the walls for good old classic METAL (NOT hair bands!!). If this pedal already exists PLEASE enlighten me! And please, nothing over $200 with a damn waiting list. :bkw

Cheers,

CJ

catalinbread

CJ did you visit Tommy?

OK, here is my situation. I play in a "classic" Metal cover band (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, etc) and although I use a Marshall JCM800 2204 half stack, I need to plug into the low gain input for cleans and solo boosts. So, I need a pedal that NAILS the classic early to mid 80s high gain Marshall sound with TONS of midrange grind. I have tried:

Barber DDSS (2003 model, PERFECT tone but just shy on the gain)
Barber Dirty Bomb (great but too fuzzy in the mix)
MI Audio CB (v1) (too fuzzy & scooped sounding, fades in the mix)
Menatone KOB (not enough UMPH and I don't like dual switch pedals)
HBE Full Metal Jacket (meh)
T-Rex Bloody Mary (too modern and sterile)
Boss Metal Zone (blech!!)
Subdecay Blackstar (too fuzzy)
ProCo Rat (several versions, including the "good" ones, hated them all)

I'm finding that most "high-gain" pedals usually fade in the mix, even though I don't max out the gain (usually keep it at 3 o'clock). I AM BEGGING ANY PEDAL BUILDER READING THIS!!!! Can you PLEASE build a pedal that gets damn close to say:

Accept: Balls to the Wall
Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind
Slayer: South of Heaven

All Marshall tones, and all have that big, growling power tube grind. Not fuzzy, not overly compressed, and not scooped in the slightest. Hell, you could call it Balls-in-a-Box, lol! I know that NO PEDAL will emulate the real thing exactly, but why can't someone make a HIGH GAIN pedal that stands out in the mix and growls more than buzzes? For features, nice and simple:

True Bypass
ONE footswitch
Level, Gain and Tone, maybe one extra gain or voicing switch but nothing fancy.

There are plenty of pedals for the "Blooze" and the "Brootalz" but I can't find any pedal that just peels paint off the walls for good old classic METAL (NOT hair bands!!). If this pedal already exists PLEASE enlighten me! And please, nothing over $200 with a damn waiting list. :bkw

Cheers,

CJ

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
Ever try a box of rocks (zvex)
or even stacking two pedals?
HBE Big D

With the need to have clean and then metal that does make it more challenging.

Purple

You need to stack a good rangemaster style circuit in front of a good medium plexi gain OD type pedal. I doubt very many of the sounds you are mentioning are straight guitar -> Marshall.

forum_crawler

That pedal already exists, and it is called the MT-2, but you have to get the Keeley version of it, a possible alternative would be the Hardwire TL-2. Similar the the Keeley MT-2, true bypass, and I think it is cheaper. Keep in mind the Keeley MT-2 will take some time to tweak properly...

Other options:
Damage Control Demonizer, Solid Metal
Wampler Pinnacle, Plextortion

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
I'd be interested in this too.

Have you tried the Krank Distortus Maximus? I heard that it's based on the same/similar circuit as the Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800. The PP800 I had was fantastic sounding, but needed more EQ control to bring up the mids and tame the high end. The Krank has more EQ control and appears to sound pretty good if this video is any indication:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKCjzOAePM

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I would PM Dave about getting the DDSS modded for more gain. It actually is probably a very easy fix with minor parts swaps.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
Another one to consider is the Stomp Under Foot Screaming Panda which is based on the rare Dimarzio Very Metal which was a GREAT distortion/fuzz pedal from the 80's. Jake E. Lee used one on the 1st Badlands album for all the gain tones, and I guess Yngwie used one too. I've not tried the Panda, but I have two original Very Metals and it gets a pretty killer Priest tone as well as Dio era Sabbath and has a very strong but not honky mid presence. Cuts through the mix like no other.

StompBoxBlues

you got a number of good replies, I have to say up front I'm not a metal guy so take it with a grain of salt, but...

have you tried the Box of Metal?
Or the Marshall pedals' Guv'nor?

I only have experience with the Marshall "guv'nor II" but it sounds pretty Marshally, and high-gain to me.

Also, the OCD might be worth a look.

I don't know metal so I could be totally wrong, but I latched onto your wish to have "mids and gain" and these pedals seem to do THAT for me.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Tonebone pedals, such as the Hot British, Plexitube or London! There sre some nice sounding pedals from Wampler as well the Super Plextortion sounds real good!

jgyn

Recently got a BYOC Shredder (Marshall Shredmaster clone) that sounds close to what you're looking for.

Plexihead

Check out the Tonebone pedals, such as the Hot British, Plexitube or London! There sre some nice sounding pedals from Wampler as well the Super Plextortion sounds real good!
+1

The Tonebone pedals would be a very good recommendation, maybe check out the Hot British if you can before purchasing.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
Would you consider trying a Marshall pre-amp?
A lot of metal bands use them.
Also a Treble Booster might be simple solution.

Trending Topics