Will someone explain JamUp?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by DrakeSequation, May 31, 2015.

1. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

I recently bought an iPad and interface strictly for home recording. I want to use my guitar and pedals for my main affect. The only software I want to use is amp simulation (I really need about 4: ultra clean, Fender, and two Marshall-esque versatile dirty amps to be pushed by pedals) and recording so I can home record quietly. Tone matters and JamUp seems highly regarded.

My question is so very little is explained about JamUp on its' site. It says it has a huge number of amps but I cannot find which models listed anywhere. Packages seem configured so you cannot buy just amps. Will someone explain how to find out how to buy what I need?

2. waterbound

waterbound Member

Currently jam up pro is on sale for $4.99 which is a great deal. it comes with all the amps and effects you would need to meet your requirements. additional amps and effects can be purchased via the store you can buy bundles or individual amps and effects for minimal amounts. My opinion is go for the BIAS FX which is their newest released application, I believe is sonically 200% better sounding and can be utilized multiple ways for live, iPad recording etc.

Jam Up pro allows you to play with amp/effect combinations that sounds pretty good. You can download other patches for free and then tweak the amps (tubes, bias, pre-power amp and cabinets) using BIAS or get BIAS FX which rolls all together to allow two amps with seperate signal paths etc. Currently they are somewhat cross compatible via IAA but if you spend a lot on amps and effect on Jam Up, you may not be able to utilize those individual components in BIAS FX, at least not directly. PG has a lot of great apps now but if I had to choose one, it would be BIAS FX , either way, for $4.99 you can't beat Jam Up Pro for whT you are looking for :)

3. Steve Z

Steve Z Member

Good info in the above post. I have Jamup Pro and Bias. Yes, Bias allows for more tweaking but if you want to get started with an app that has amp sims and effects then Jamup Pro is the way to go IMO. If you also have Bias you can create an up in Bias and with a click of a button use that custom amp in Jamup Pro to utilize effects.

4. fled

fled Member

If tone matters, I highly recommend the new BIAS FX instead of JamUp. In my opinion, BIAS FX has better sound compared to JamUp. It also has dual signal path and dual amp processing which are missing in JamUp. If you want just the amp modeling and not interested on effects modeling, I recommend BIAS AMPS which is specifically just for amps. If you go with JamUp, you can try JamUp XT which is a free version which comes with 1 amp and 6 effects. Once inside JamUp XT, you can browse the different amps and effects being offered as an in-app-purchase. Hope this helps! -Fled

5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I went heavily down the Jamup/Bias path around a year ago, here are a few more tips:

You can do some amazing things with Bias, and import the tweaked amps into Jamup, but the tone will change a little bit. Just something to be aware of.

If you use a headphone jack input device, you will end up with noise issues (which is why almost every amp modeler app has a prominent noise gate). It is far better to use a expansion port interface, much better tone and less noise.

If you use Jamup/Bias on an iPad 2, you will run into latency issues, between 14 and 30ms depending on if you are using the headphone jack input (faster) or a digital interface (slower). There is no way around it with the iPad 2. I would not recommend using anything prior to an iPad Air due to the latency issues.

If you are getting Jamup, it is good to get Bias as well. Bias has some really good amp tones, and its integration with Jamup works well.

6. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

BIAS FX has amps and effects, and sounds far better than JamUp does. Opening up BIAS amps in JamUp always lost something, for me. Plus, the effects themselves are better in BIAS FX.

7. Steve Z

Steve Z Member

I haven't yet tried Bias FX, though it is on my to do list :)

8. Ed_Saxman

Ed_Saxman Member

BIAS FX is better than BIAS, but Ampkit is far better than both are.

9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

BIAS FX is just a handful of BIAS-quality amps, with effects. It's not "better" in terms of modeling. As a long time user of AmpKit+, Amplitube, JamUp, and now BIAS/BIAS FX, I highly disagree that Ampkit is far better. I don't find it to be better at all.

10. misa

misa Supporting Member

To more directly answer the OP's question:
    Yes, most of the available amps/effects in JamUp are sold in packages. From the best I understand it, Apple mandates a minimum purchase price for in-app purchases of $0.99. For the number of amps/effects included in the in-app JamUp packages that sell for $4.99, there wouldn't be too much motivation for the general consumer to buy the individual pieces.

That said, for your amp-modeling only needs, I would recommend looking at BIAS Amp. BIAS FX, JampUp, and AmpliTube (which now is supposed to run the same amp algorithms as its desktop version) are all worth taking a look at, but all have more features than you will be needing.

11. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Some time ago I had considered my iPad as my main tone source an was following the related apps' development.
    I remember what MKB reports, but also remember that it was an issue related to an early version of BIAS that had been fixed in a later one. So there should be no problems ATM.

OTOH, I agree that BIAS FX doesn't need JamUp any longer :)