Will super light guitars every be a thing?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rolandk, Mar 29, 2020.

1. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I bought a half a pallet of those guitars from the factory when they went out of business.

I should have kept one, those were nice guitars.

2. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

So very true, look to the Aerospace industry... some materials are mind-numbing in their physical properties, off the charts light weight, with unimaginable strength... one could only wonder what a guitar would sound like..

Butt (__!__) not very traditional...:p

r

Lt Dak and sahhas like this.
  3. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

There are very good, very light guitars out there.

• Almost any headless guitar is quite light. (6-6.5lbs)
    • Ultra modern non-traditional designs like the EBMM Majesty are also very light (6-7 lbs).
    • My basswood bodied RG is quite light at 7 pounds
    • Man made material guitars like Aristedes are about 7.5lbs.

I think the issue is more than the aesthetics of the guitars that meet this need are not matching up with the desires of the players who most want light guitars.

J Factor and sahhas like this.
  4. s2y

s2y Member

How much ya bench?

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I've seen this same argument so many times over the years. The threads are full of silly claims about tone and stability, none of which are remotely true or even vaguely provable. One or more people inevitably suggest that the solution is more time at the gym. No one ever changes their mind and very few people actually tell the truth: that for many people guitars have become fetish objects that have to conform to specific design types and specifications in order to fulfill their fetish value. It has nothing to do with tone, sustain, stability, comfort or playability. It just has to do with fulfilling the established mystical concepts.

Fortunately, there are lots of terrific young and creative guitarists in the world today and they don't care what guitars their ancestors played (or even what music they made with them). They are doing what great artists have always done: breaking boundaries, exploring new materials, new designs, new methods and creating new music. To them, the important concepts in their guitars revolve around a single question: is it a better tool for what I want to create because nothing else in a guitar really matters.

Lt Dak, Denzil Mathias, scott and 4 others like this.
  6. J Factor

J Factor Supporting Member

Even some semi-traditionally made guitars can be light, too. My Ibanez AZ242 comes in at 6.8lb, my S771 comes in at 6.6. Both of those are normal-ish construction. The Strandbergs I've held have been right around 5lb.

sahhas and EtaCarinae like this.
  7. Golem

Golem Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what super light is to people. I have a Colt Knight tele that's about 6 lbs and a Ron Kirn that's about the same. That's super light to me. I know people with disabilities and health issues sometimes prefer lighter guitars.

leonard d rock and sahhas like this.
  8. frankg11

frankg11 Member

[​IMG]

it's one of the go to's for Lee Ritenour. I have seen him play the 6 string and rocked it on stage and rock it he does.

sahhas likes this.
  9. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Yeah my basswood body Floyd Rose guitar is pretty light, I should weigh it to see how heavy it is... the funny thing is I don’t love the sound of basswood I’ve discovered, but the maple neck on it is fun to play!!!!

J Factor likes this.
  10. HIDDEN

HIDDEN Member

My Brad Paisley Telecaster comes at 5.6lbs and sounds great
    Nothing chambered, simply using lighter woods

11. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Agree. I jam with my 5 lb 12 oz Paulownia body Tele all the time. No worries with it - it's not fragile at all.

[​IMG]

12. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I share John's sentiment.. and I really dislike building them.. it's like a "crap shoot" you cannot be anything like certain of what the end results will be, and if, whatever they are, they're possessed by the demon wolf notes.. :eek:

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

If Gibson built a Les Paul that looked like a Les Paul out of Carbon Fiber, I would buy one.

Lt Dak likes this.
  14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

6.45lbs on top
    5.00lbs on bottom

15. JSutter

JSutter Member

Balance > weight

16. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

With the bulk of players getting on in years, super light guitars might appeal to those who want to keep playing. I know that my back like it when i do 4 sets w the 5 lbs Steinberger copy rather than the 8,5 lbs strat.

17. RJLII

RJLII Member

I thought the Parker Fly was a great guitar idea. It was super comfortable. What turned me off was the neck. It was like playing a ruler. I gotta have girth.

Thankfully, I have a Nocaster that weighs a touch more than six pounds. It's like strapping on a bag of marshmallows. A bag of marshmallows with a big honking neck.

18. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i’m traditional, and i’m not.
    most of my faves weigh less than 7ibs.

Lt Dak likes this.
  19. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

If it could have looked like a traditional strat with that ergonomics and lightness it may have sold more. Only dedicated forward thinkers really latched onto it.
    But when it first came out I saw a lot of guitar players with them.

20. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member