Will tele Donahue bridge do hard rock?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Webfoot, May 24, 2011.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Okay... no laughing...

Have had a chopper and hot area t in my tele. All good but I miss the natural tone of the bridge pickup. So trying to get back to lower output/non stack humbucker.

The JD has alnico 2, higher bass and lower treble that moves it away from the traditional trebly tele bridge pickup. My guess is I don't need a hot pickup either since I am not driving an amp direct but getting my dirt and push from a pedal.

So will the Donahue work in the tele for hard rock? Need solos and rhythms more like thin lizzy, zz top, gary moore... not expecting heavy chunk.

I did like the custom shop pearly gate jr demo but the amp is so saturated, its hard to tell how the pickup really sounds... plus would like it to be a true single.

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I just installed a Seymour Duncan Donahue bridge pickup today, in fact. Been using a Duncan Broadcaster STL1B for the past few years.

The Donahue has a fuller, sweeter midrange. It's a very interesting pickup, because it's got plenty of traditonal twang, no icepick, and sounds GREAT with lots of gain.

I'll give more of a detailed report after I play it some more. but so far, I'm really liking it.

3. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

It's my favorite tele pickup for rock, blues, country etc..
    I started using the JD after reading a few comments on it by guys saying it does the early Jimmy Page tele tone. I don't know if that's exactly true but I think it's a great rock pickup for a vintage tele style, clean or with a pedal.

4. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

Big +1. The JD rules!