Will the Axe II be the POD HD Killer?

cob666

Even before the Pod HD units came out I couldn't believe how many 'is the Pod HD the Axe-fx killer' threads there were here. Have fun with it.

Arjan

Neither is the "killer" of the other, since the products serve entirely different segments of the market.

FPFL

The now cheaper than ever AF Standard is a POD HD killer frankly.

Not a fair comparison but honestly that's the case if we're talking quality and depth.

That said the POD HD has killed nothing... except my POD X3.

I have love for the Beans but they are kings of convenience and price point not really kings unto themselves. Once you've had the ability to load custom cabs you can't look at anything that doesn't offer that the same way IMHO forget everything else we could debate.

We L6 does that, then I'll be impressed.

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I guess this thread is meant to be provocative, but how many Line 6 customers have even heard of the Axefx? A very small percentage I would guess. Plus, most people in that segment of the market probably don't want a rack mount unit that needs a floor controller to be useful.(myself included). And how many typical guitar players would have the desire and knowledge to have to learn how to tweak a piece of that equipment that complicated? Not many, I would guess also.

Line 6 and Fractal appeal to completely different market segments, with Line 6's being a magnitude larger that Fractal's. I'm sure Line 6 isn't worried in the least...

PinkPanther

The real question is will the AXE II be the AXE I killer, because at that price range who will buy an ultra for $1600 because they don't want to spend the extra few hundreds for the AXE II (in the used market because the ultra and standard has been discontinued so from that stand point the AXE II certainely killed the AXE ultra)

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
Whatever tools fit the player works best.

Tools don't 'kill' other tools. They are means to an end.

No 'death' or 'murder' needed. The hierarchy is irreverent; the music one makes with whatever tools one chooses to work with is what is truly relevant. Be that a $300, $1000, or $2200 price point tool. Still just tools.

DaveDaveDave

Gold Supporting Member
I concur! Is the Ford 150 a Prius killer? (Well, I guess literally, yes, in a collision... ) - or vice versa? It's a non-question, IMO.

Tools don't 'kill' other tools. They are means to an end.

No 'death' or 'murder' needed. The hierarchy is irreverent; the music one makes with whatever tools one chooses to work with is what is truly relevant. Be that a $300, $1000, or $2200 price point tool. Still just tools.

PinkPanther

To kill would mean to discontinue in this thread:D, so the POD HD killed production of POD X3, AXE II killed production of the ultra and standard. Is the AXE II going to kill production of POD HD? At half the price and ecomies of scale with enough produced, I can see it killing production of the HD.

Tools don't 'kill' other tools. ...

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Very funny.

Oh, yeah, those of us who can scrape up 500 bucks for a POD HD are going to immediately drop 2200 plus foot controller money on an Axe-II. Yeah... it could happen..

Even before the Pod HD units came out I couldn't believe how many 'is the Pod HD the Axe-fx killer' threads there were here. Have fun with it.
The Axe II, clearly cognizant of the ramifications of slaying said Pod HD (doesn't want to do 15 to 20 at Danbury), would hold back and merely wound it. Get a good lawyer, and say 'if the tone doesn't fit, you must acquit.'

coderKen

Silver Supporting Member
If the Axe II was even close to the same price range as the HD500 then it would certainly kill the HD for me (emphasis on "FOR ME"). However, seeing as how the price isn't even in the same ball park as the HD, it will live on. That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my HD and I'm not looking for a change. It does everything I want and (more importantly) need it to do and a whole lot more.

Tarkus

As the prices are so different, I don't find them direct competitors.

An Axe FX full up gigging performance rig is so much more expensive than the same thing with an HD that it's not close money-wise.

Can we start arguing about Ford vs Chevy trucks? That might be more meaningful.:YinYang

Jim Soloway

The price point difference has already been made repeatedly so I won't bother, but it also has to be noted that there is also a significant convenience difference. The Axe is a much more complicated device with a much steeper learning curve. I tried it and went back to conventional amps almost immediately. When I tried the POD HD, I was up and running within a few minutes. Different strokes for different folks, but that's worth a lot to me.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Y'all seem to be missing the parody. Of course you'd expect a different experience using a piece of gear that's four times the cost but that's not the point.

Where were you guys a few months ago when a lot of hopeful people speculated that the POD HD was going to make people forget about the AxeFX? In that context, I had to chuckle when I saw the thread title. Sauce for the goose...

Trending Topics