Will the Glory days of the Emporium ever return?

Killcrop

There are lots of threads on the emporium these days. I wonder if the glory days will ever return? There was a time when you could list a cool amp and it would be sold in 3 days or less. Now great amps at very fair prices sit and sit.

I know the economy hasn't been that great for a lot of people, but I wonder if we are starting to see the effects of the aging boomers? I think the combo econ/aging has had an effect on vintage gear, not huge price drops but noticeable. But the emporium has been a dead zone for a while now. With 150K members, stuff shouldn't be sitting for so long.

I used to buy stuff to try out and move it for something else in a few months. I don't dare do that now. Something is up and I don't like it.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's just aging baby boomers and not enough younger people to buy their stuff. Baby boomers bought a lot of gear (the last 10 years especially) and now they're starting to think about downsizing and retiring. The used market is going to continue to be flooded with used gear and prices will continue to decline. There will be a lot of people caught holding on to prices from 5 years ago trying to get $3500 for their R9 and by the time they sell it they'll be lucky to get $2000.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but if you think about every baby boomerish guitar player you know and all the gear they have, how many of their kids are interested in guitar? If I'm being generous I'd say 50% of boomers have kids that are interested in guitar. That leaves a lot of gear to be sold.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
I also think that more and more people -- both younger and older -- are moving to new new SS and digital amps. Many younger players never really developed the love affair with tube-technology. Many older players are getting too old/injured/weak to drag 50lb+ rigs around...

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Folks still want tube amps. Heck i scoured the emporium before grabbing something local just this past month. Folks are still looking to buy or bargain. Sellers and traders are doing fine. Folks with ads sitting for a while may need to be a bit flexible tho- but that applies to any item in any market.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
And one other factor, as Christmas approaches, and continuing after the new year for a good month or two, it's often buyers market, IME. People have blown their disposable dollars on Christmas presents, travel, vacations, etc. and they're paying off bills for the next month or so. Then when tax rebates start up again, things will pick up a bit. But I was just able to nab a vintage amp that I've been hunting for years for about 40% of of what the last few sold for on eBay...so there's a sliver lining too...

GrungeMan

The market is flooded, Fender makes 210 versions of the same model of guitar...pick one...you can build it yourself for less $$$ with parts. Same goes for amps...everybody builds a 5E3...most are cheaper than Fender I might add. Gibson...Did I say the market is flooded?

Last edited:

Killcrop

The market is flooded, Fender makes 210 versions of the same model of guitar...pick one...you can build it yourself for less $$$ with parts. Same goes for amps...everybody builds a 5E3...most all cheaper than Fender I might add. Gibson...Did I say the market is flooded?
Yet Gibson sells all the Custom Shop guitars they make to someone. They wouldn't be making as many guitars if they weren't selling, right? I mean even Henry isn't hat dumb. Well,...

C-4

I have specific tastes, and know what's on my to buy list for the next 2 years. As I save up the money, I get what I want and do it again. Even if I wanted something in the Emporium, I would still have to save up the money first.

ItJustRocks

For me buying, selling, packing, shipping, putting up with guys constantly trying to offer a trade or a super low price as turned me off from buying an amp thinking I can easily move it if necessary. Not to mention shipping costs have gone up. I pretty much buy new and don't buy it unless I intend to keep it. If I do sell an amp I now sell local.

GrungeMan

My point was also, this is not the only place to get a guitar or amp so things may sit at TGP Emporiums. Back to the flooded market...I'm pretty sure Gibson CS guitars hang in the stores a long time. Previous poster, good point regarding shipping.

Last edited:

MrDoty

Silver Supporting Member
I just sold an amp on here in a matter of hours. I suppose my price was pretty fair.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
In addition to Boomers being at the end of their buying spree and the beginning of their selloff, we also have to remember that not only are younger generations less interested in this gear, companies been making high quality gear for a long time now.

Even if you just look at the mid-level Fender Am Std. and Gibson USA stuff it has been very consistently high quality (in my opinion) since the late 80s. That's 30 years straight of thousands and thousands of these guitars being made. When the boomers start downsizing and selling everything other than their vintage tele and deluxe reverb (or whatever the rig is that they want to hold on to) those guitars are going to overflow on craigslist.

Right now in my local craigslist (mid-sized city) there are about 15 American Strats for sale. In 2 or 3 years it will be 50. How is someone going to think they'll still be able to get even $500 for one of these when there are so many for sale and not selling month after month?

People will start taking what they can get and prices will plummet. Some sellers will stubbornly hold on to stuff but the I don't see the prices coming back. 30 years ago families would routinely spend $2-3k on a piano for the living room. Nowadays those pianos are listed as free in Craigslist. I don't think guitars will ever go that low because they still have some appeal, are easier to transport etc. But I think there is going to be a much bigger drop than people realize.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
companies been making high quality gear for a long time now.

What he said. GenX (the buyers now) don't care about nostalgia. Boutique builders are building new clones just as good as the originals. Without nostalgia there's no reason to buy vintage. Plus the Genx'ers who have the money to buy don't see 20% off new as a deal for used gear when MF and Sweetwater discount that all day long. They would rather spend a few extra bucks and buy new.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't even think about the lack of nostalgia factor. The youngest guitar players are more likely to idealize guys like Jared Scharff and James Valentine and many won't even know who the Bloomfields and Claptons are. So not only are the Gibson and Fender brands going to overload the used markets, the younger players aren't going to be interested in many of the traditional guitars and are more likely to be interested in Jazzmaster variants, Fanos, new Ernie Balls etc.

What he said. GenX (the buyers now) don't care about nostalgia. Boutique builders are building new clones just as good as the originals. Without nostalgia there's no reason to buy vintage. Plus the Genx'ers who have the money to buy don't see 20% off new as a deal for used gear when MF and Sweetwater discount that all day long. They would rather spend a few extra bucks and buy new.

I think a big part of the issue is the multiple mediums in buying and selling amps has increased. With Reverb, and more shops opening locally, more people are inclined to check there first than the emporium.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom