Will the New Gibson fix the headstock issue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Strat-cat, May 24, 2019.

1. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Have 2 Les Pauls that I’ve had for 15 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of true “oh ****” moments, despite them being through about all of the situations you mention. I take care of and watch out for my stuff. Had a buddy knock one over and it gave the most sickening sound when it landed on a concrete floor. Guitar was fine and I decided that was a really ****** place to set the guitar.

Almost no one decides against buying a Gibson for the overblown neck issue.

As for old men, hemming and hawing, they hem and haw about other peoples’ broken Gibson necks plenty.

Jayyj likes this.
  2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I agree
    Let fix the issue that’s not a issue
    Had lots of les Paul’s 50 years never did one fail while I was playing shipping or looking at it
    Gibson’s least sorry
    Make affordable great quality guitars
    We want to buy

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Like Colbert says, global warming isn't real because I was cold today.

hunter

4. Frater B

Frater B Member

5. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Gotta love the deniers and empirical evidence. Here’s a true story: I’ve owned one Gibson in my life, a 94 LP, and the headstock broke in the case in a truck on a bumpy road. So does that mean 100% of Gibson headstocks will break? Based on my evidence, yes, so it must be true. Sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? It's a well noted issue and one they should deal with, just ask a reputable tech how many they have repaired.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. Funk'n Metal

Funk'n Metal Member

Haha, from my home in the PNW to my home in the SW and back. Though I do have to admit, one time one of my hardcases was coming apart on the inside (part that the neck rests in was separated out about 1/2") and more than likely would have destroyed the guitar during shipping had I not noticed and fixed it beforehand.

-Dudette

7. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

8. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

How many out of 1000 break? 1?

I’m not saying they don’t break. I’m saying it’s not nearly as common as some want to make out.

9. biff maloy

biff maloy Member

None that I know of. He didn't buy it then. The only thing I had in 84 and I'm sure he the same was a $75 Strat copy made of plywood. 10th grade don't pay that much.

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Not much way to answer that question. But for grins I googled headstock break, hit the images page and 12 of the first 18 images were of Gibson guitars. It didn't improve after that. Maybe Gibson is giving Google money so their searches come up on top but, if that is the case? It isn't working out like they think. Otherwise, I'd say when neck breaks is the subject, Gibson is the big content provider.

So rather than try to say how many Gibson's out of 1000, my quick sample tells me 67% of neck breaks occur on Gibson guitars.

And yes I am laughing at this so called use of statistics but hey you go with what you got.

hunter

jvin248 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  11. Gurn

Gurn Member

1. No. Too many would complain if they did.

2. Gratuitous remark: I miss Henry J. I bought 3 Gibsons in 2015-2017. I’ve bought 0 since then.

12. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Quick. Name 5 well known and widely distributed commodities that had a major design defect upon mass introduction and yet, without addressing the issue, are still flourishing commercially six decades later.

Again:
    [​IMG]

13. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

What headstock problem?

Don't change what makes a Gibson a Gibson.

14. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

Yeah the head stocks are more prone to breakage than the imitators, but guess what, they sound better than the imitators too.

If you want a headstock less prone to breakage then get a clone. If you want the real deal then be prepared to not set the thing in a precarious spot or chuck it carelessly in the back of a truck. Don't try to morph what works on the real thing into something inferior because you can't take care of your guitar.

Maybe we should stop using tube Amps because they are prone to being high maintenance.

I'm not opposed to a volute on the modern model. But don't change the angle and don't touch the vintage oriented models.

Toby Krebs likes this.
  15. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

So you have chosen not to play Gibsons?

16. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

It does irk me a bit that they have chosen not to improve it for the new LP Modern when they've done other things like that new access neck join. It just annoys me that it's a known design flaw and they do nothing about it. Yet they fixed it for the much cheaper Epiphone.

That said I never had issues with my old LP, I used to just rest it against the amp or sit it on top of it and didn't have any falls or near misses in 5+ years of gigging.

jvin248 likes this.
  17. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

:spit

18. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

While we are at it let’s call out Fender for the design flaw of their single coil pickups (60 cycle hum?... Seth Lover solved that in 1956!!!!) and Porsche for the design flaw of their 911 (rear engine?? Seriously!?!??)

19. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

No because there is nothing to fix.

20. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

My SG have been brought around in a case like that for the last 28 years. Once the guitar falled down hitting the ground with the neck from standing position (and then I've learned that straplocks are a must). The headstock is still attached to his neck :)

I add, for statistical reasons, that I play only Gibson and none of the 9 I've bought over the years had their headstock detached. I'm a lucky man!