Will the Reeves Custom 12PS or 18 give me what I want?

Jmg11986

Been looking to expand into Marshall territory for a while now and after Friday night, seeing David Gilmour in Toronto, I'm thinking hiwatt too.

So basically I'm looking for JTM Clapton tone and Gilmour hiwatt tone in a lower wattage club level amp. I was thinking about the custom 12 and 18 by Reeves. The custom 12Ps sounds like this would be the answer since the 18 is described as a plexi but I wasn't sure. Any owners of these too amps? Which would be better suited for these demands?

Jmg11986

Anyone? Really just going to focus on custom 12PS. Is this more hiwatt or in the Marshall territory? Sounds like the 18 is too high gain Marshall for me. Looking for that Gilmour tone at lower volumes and thinking about this amp :)

bgio

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't had experience with the 18. I own a Custom 6PS. Don't think it's offered anymore as the 12 replaced it.

Also, haven't had as much experience with a JTM, but I do own a JMP50 bass spec clone. The Reeves sounds similar, not as big sounding or as gainy though. I usually the use the 6 at my solo gigs and it works super well there to get a Marshall-y sound at lower volumes. There's no way my 6 would be able to be clean with a drummer and would need an efficient speaker to really cut through. I don't know how much that changes with the 12. But the 6 is a very good sounding Marshall style amp.

Hope this helps.

FFTT

I think you would be O.K. with an 18, but really happier with the added headroom of the 30.
The 30 also has power scaling standard.

Best description 2/3 Bluesbreaker 1/3 Hiwatt.

For Plexi - Hiwatt at somewhat club friendly volumes, the Custom 50 Jimmy with or without Power Scaling.

Trending Topics