Will the REMOVAL of the wire on an ABR1 bridge adversely affect a Les Paul ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rock Fella, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

What do you think ? Would tuning and intonation stability be adversely affected ?

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

As far as I am aware, the wire is only there to stop the saddles falling out when the string pressure is removed and has no effect on tuning or intonation.

If you are gigging with this guitar and you break a string it could be a little embarassing crawling around the floor at a dimly lit venue looking for the missing saddle. ;)

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

As far as I know the only downside is the saddle could fall out of the bridge during string changes.

4. ES350

ES350 Member

I've had to do that when a string broke on stage, and it's no fun---guitar out of commission the rest of the night.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

LOL

the wire stays !! Im going to a tech tonite to have my g string saddle reversed , one turn of the screw and it will be in tune nirvana ..........where have you been all my life strobostomp.

Jimmy

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I had to do the same thing on my R8. The G wouldn't go back quite far enough to get the intonation in the way the bridge came.

7. samhill

samhill Member

Tonepro's AVR-1 will fix what ails ya.

8. evan_pollan

evan_pollan Member

I didn't realize this was so common... I always thought my LP Custom was just an anomoly, having a G string that wouldn't intonate given the factory saddle travel. Nice quality control...

Samhill -- are you implying that the Tonepro has enough travel to solve this problem?