• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Will there always be a supply of tubes in the future?..

Toby Krebs

I have a 1984 JCM800/DSL40c/Pro Junior in a Mojotone cab/Origin 50 head an 2-12 cab/and a 1986 Laney AOR50 combo.
and
Another pile of tubers at my rehearsal studio.

The Katanas play the gigs since 2020

so I’m not buying anymore tubes unless I have too.
All those amps work perfectly.

Tubes will be around for another 20 years

R2-DD2

Wearily, a dusty traveler scans the horizon for signs of bandits. He sees nothing. Desolation. Death. The bones of once great cities erupt from the ground in twisted agonies. He trips over a box. As if by rote, he reaches down to scavenge another remnant of the before time. He slowly decodes the figures on the box. He vaguely remembers his father teaching him of these before disease took him. Slowly, he speaks out loud for the first time in years:

"Sov...tek"

jellodog

Yeah, if it really becomes an issue, development of stuff like this will pick up, I imagine. I’m certainly willing to try it out.
Oh yeah, totally.

These drop-in SS replacement tubes may or may not sound as good to everyone inititally, but it's inevitable that there will come a time when they do.

Waxhead

Why don’t you sit down for a while and make us miserable?

:beer

hehehe no attempt at being miserable from me.
Was just stating some scientific facts is all.

I don't find the fact that our species, planet, solar system and universe have no long term future depressing at all.

Life still has all the meaning and substance you want to give it.
The wonder is that we ever existed at all and became self aware enough to talk about it :omg

PaisleyWookie

Oh yeah, totally.

These drop-in SS replacement tubes may or may not sound as good to everyone inititally, but it's inevitable that there will come a time when they do.

Im honestly more than a little surprised no one’s done more r&d into it. Maybe someone is, I dunno. Seems like an obvious progression. Preamp “tubes” with varying levels of gain, “power tubes” with varying levels of output, for example. Maybe it’s a pipe dream; I’m certainly no electronics expert by any means.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Modern & NOS tubes will be around for a while but maybe not at prices we'd be willing to pay. Would you/we pay $400 for a 12AX7 or $1k for a 6L6?

Gabriel_GR

I think that there will be tubes around. Though with the quality I have seen from non-NOS stuff over the last ten years I think I'll probably switch to something like the Fender tonemaster.

Krausewitz

Another thing to remember about NOS. They’ll run out when they’re all used, not when they’re all purchased.

Loads of people are sitting on frankly ludicrous NOS collections. Way more than they could ever use. When they get too old or die those stocks then (hopefully….) go up for sale.

teemuk

Weird thought, but any chance of some sort of nanotube or nutube variant in the future with adapters for 6L6, EL34, etc?

The NuTube is really just a modified vacuum fluorescent display and those are dying technology as well. They actually went obsolete even faster than generic vacuum tubes.

98G2PRU

Silver Supporting Member
About 20 years ago I wanted to make sure I had the tubes I would need, so I bought a box full of NOS RCA 6V6s and a bunch of various EL84 sets Telefunkens, Bugle Boy, Mullards, etc…. I’ve also bought a lot of NOS ECC83/12AX7 tubes by various makers. I recent years I have also stocked up on a few sets of new power tubes and preamp tubes. In the entire 20+ years, I have never lost a preamp tube and have only had one set of power tubes go out - the EL84s on my AC10C1 went bad and took out a fuse on the way out. Since the AC10 seems to be hard on power tubes, I‘ll probably order some more new EL84s for that amp.

My point is unless you are playing 4 hours a night, you’re probably not going to go through a ton of tubes.

+

Trending Topics

Top Bottom