Will Two amps do the job? DRRI? VR? TR? questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zebuloncamp, Mar 22, 2015.

1. zebuloncamp

zebuloncamp Member

So I play in a really loud doom-y/postrock-ish band and my twin reverb is blowing everyone else away. I can't seem to tame the volume and get the characteristics I want out of it. That being said, I am keeping up with a hard hitting drummer, a supersonic into a 4x12 and an SVT into a high efficiency 8x10 and I need good loud cleans.

I thought maybe switching to two lower wattage fender amps like a deluxe reverb/vibrolux with upgraded speakers (something efficient like an eminence swamp thing) might do the trick and let me take advantage of some stereo effects.

I am headed in the right direction or is this just not going to have the headroom I need?

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

I must be missing something. If it's loud cleans you are after, you already have the benchmark. Why not just turn down the Twin Reverb? If you still want the tonal fullness of a cranked amp, try turning it down but hitting the front end with a "clean-ish" boost like a BearFoot Red Rooster Booster or a Prescription Electronics Germ.

I think two Deluxe Reverbs would be overdriving hard at the volume levels you describe. You'd probably want to look at the 2x6L6 Fenders: Vibrolux, Pro, Super Reverb, etc.

I dunno, the last really loud doom-y band I heard was Yob. That might be a whole other level of loud.

3. zebuloncamp

zebuloncamp Member

Thanks, I didn't think about the boost idea, that may be what i am missing.

I'am having to keep my volume on the twin around 2.5-3 and work my volume pedal a lot and my twin really starts to shine around 3.5-4 so its just sounding a little dull.

We are loud but lots of cleans and really dynamic, not quite yob or sleep volumes but still loud.
    Thanks so much!