Wilma / Bob Sweet

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone heard from Bob? I believe he's in Ft. Lauderdale...

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I got an e-mail from him on saturday morning in response to a question I had asked.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Saturday ain't today!

4. exodus

exodus Member

my folks are down there in Coral Springs and I just talked with them... took a beating but the house is still there.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

No, it's not.

6. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I'm in Orlando, my parents are in Merritt Island (Cape Canaveral/Cocoa beach) and we have friends down in the Boca area. Everyone is fine. Our Boca friends have a pine tree through their roof, but they are safe.

So far it seems like most people down there are doing alright. Not that it's a guarantee that Bob is, but I haven't heard anything really serious so far.

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Hope he is okay, very nice person, besides on a personal note I am still in need for a few vibe pedals.

TheGrooveking

8. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Any updates?

Edit: sorry, I had one bit. I heard that they won't have power down there for a week and a half. I don't know how true that is, but it sounds about right. A few years ago we went through the same. So, he certainly won't be on here this week if he's ok.

9. exodus

exodus Member

Like I mentioned before, I grew up in Coral Spring and my folks are still there (same town as Bob).

I talked with them last night... the damage was fairly high. Most large trees (40 year olds) are gone, shingle came off the roof... they have a swing set in their backyard that came from down the block. Its a total mess, but the houses stood. Winds ~ 100 to 120 mph. Its the worst we've seen since '78 mainly because it was a direct hit to Coral Springs / Broward County.

There is no power down there--they were told it would be a week before that came back on line. Phone lines work. Some areas have a 'boil water' order (which makes it hard with electric stoves). No widespread flooding.

Life should be a real pain in the ass for the next week or so, but it is not Katrina level devistation.

10. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

I'm still here !!!
    No power (seven days!), running off an inverter hooked up to the car, so I'll be short and check in now and then when I can. Anyone with an order not to worry, I've been using butane soldering irons and they work great! They estimate my area got the worst of it (Coral Springs, Margate) and that we may not have power in our area until Nov. 22nd!! My birthday!!!

Anyone want to swap for a hot shower??? :)

Thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it. We were VERY lucky a huge tree slammed between our house and the neighbors but no injuries. The neighborhood has really changed in a big way. Margate Blved. was lined with huge trees. Like a canopy over the road, really nice looking...all gone.
    Some of my neighbors have their roofs ripped off and slammed into the cars in the street on the other side of the house. We were VERY lucky....