Wilson wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Sep 28, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Anyone have a Wilson wah? Will it handle high gain well? I tend to like a wah which will cover clean to mean, single and humbuckers. I had good luck with an od Crybaby and my Budda but am looking to try something new.

Thanks!

2. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I had one and sold it. Ended up keeping a modded Vox from an Ebay modder. Similar to the Keeley mello mod. One of the features is a bass boost toggle and it sounds huge fat with high gain. It's also true bupass has an led, no volume drop, a Q control for inensity or strength of mids and a red fasel inductor. The keeley is like 260.00 I got this one for 150.00
    I also had the pic wah and the fulltone clyde deluxe and kept this one. I do wonder if the keeley is better though.
    Here's the guy I got mine from but it was pre modded old stock for 150.00

Oh, killer with buckers, I was using Fuchs TDS with high gain
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-v847-CRYBABY-WAH-TRUE-BYPASS-w-LED-MOD-KIT_W0QQitemZ220285350193QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220285350193&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    keeley:
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=38

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks man, i have the Buda now and am thinking about the Teese Wheels of Fire wah!

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i like the wilson wahs. Check my demo page. I have several demos of their wahs.

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

How many you own now??

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

Those Vox wah mods on Ebay looks nice. I contacted theguy.

I am deciding beteen keeping my Budda, getting a Clyde, Whees of Fire, Wilson, or another Crybby(Crybaby from hell or Classic).

7. johndara

johndara Member

I have the Wilson Rippa Q Wah..great pedal..fuzz friendly. Goes from quack to mellow meow with the turn of a few knobs. One of the best wahs I've tried.

8. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I think you need to try a few and see what works with your set up. I had a Teese pic wah in the past and loved it but tried one recentley with my current set up and went with somthing els. There are a bunch o good ones. Area 51, liquid B, Supa quack, Wilson, teese , fulltone etc.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

THANKS! Problem is, many of these are not in stores. :cry:

Maybe I can mod my Budda for a bigger vol boost and maybe some way to adjust toward more lows. I am afraid the Wheels of Fire from Teese will have just as abrubt a sweep as the Wizard which I didn't like. I am more into the Crybaby type sweep.

10. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

A 12-posit Q Wah for Bass...will post here when I get a chance to try it out (December as I'm on deployment right now).

Looking forward to it in any case.

Jay

11. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder Member

cool look forward to hearing your views on the Bass Wah. That's the one I've got my eye on...

12. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Wilson just came out with a WH-10 replica, like the one John Frusciante uses, I plan on picking one up.

13. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

I now have both the 12-posit bass q-wah as well as the Wilson 12 posit Rippah Q-wah for guitar.

They both have ended my search for wah's - yes, they are that good. The Bass wah has an incredible voicing range for the instrument - can't believe the sweep on the thing and how the controls can manipulate the tone. Plays nice with overdrives, etc., BUT I like it very near the front of the chain - noticeable difference in overall tone (i.e. it just "works" better there). Currently run bass - Demeter Compulator - Barber Linden EQ - Wilson Q-Wah - true bypass box with loops for the other pedals.

The Rippah on guitar is amazing - unbelievable quack and midrange texture - plays "exceptionally" well with fuzz and overdrive. I use them post the wah, but others will prefer them prior.

Just my .02
    Jay