Winded something right and it don't have THAT sound!!!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by neteraser, Feb 11, 2012.

1. neteraser

neteraser Member

Hello guys! This is my second time winding an OT at home. This time I've tried connecting different sections the way they technically should be connected (i.e. all in one direction). No sound at all. No magic, no mystery, no sparkling! I've switched back to the original winding schematic with a great relief :) Next time, I'll be back with comparison between MM OT for AC30 and my transformer. I've recently found a right place to buy special transformer varnish from, so the whole project is coming closer.
    Thank you for your support! :)

2. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I'll buy a pair of Magnatone 280 OT's from you if you ever go pro.

3. Structo

Structo Member

So are you in St. Petersburg, Russia?

I have heard of guys winding there own transformers in countries where they are hard to come by.
    Good luck, it can be an art making a good output transformer.

4. neteraser

neteraser Member

I've been thinking about Magnatone amps recently. Yes, you're right, it may be a perfect place for that winding schematic. Let me have a look at 6973 datasheet and amps schematic to see how it's different from EL84...

5. neteraser

neteraser Member

Yeah... :huh I've found all needed here, except the iron. Paper, varnish, wire...
    It's not surprising looking at shippment cost. The only alternative for DIY in terms of a cost is a ClassicTone transformer. So if you have a little faith in yourself... ;)
    Thank you very much! It sure is.

6. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

While you are there in Russia see if you can find someone to make an RCA 6973 tube.

A really good 6EU7 would be nice too.

7. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

That's because you made a classic beginners mistake. Perhaps you'd show us a drawing of how these section were connected in your version of "the way they technically should be connected (i.e. all in one direction)". As this is Amplifier Technical section it seems only appropriate asking for.:munch

8. neteraser

neteraser Member

Hi Alex! I'm very glad to hear from you! I will show some drawings on my website as soon as I get my hands on Mercury Magnetics to make a comparison. Of course I don't want to look stupid before I can be sure. Please understand. Stay tuned! :)

9. neteraser

neteraser Member

LOL.

By the way, what mistake are you talking about?:munch After receiving a criticism from you in a thread on my first PT project, I winded a very primitive PT. Unfortunately, it doesn't have THAT sound too (though indeed there was a little mistake in the first one, but it wasn't all piece of crap like you said. not at all!).

:huh In fact, I don't think there's any mistake since it works and I like it very much! So as you see, I think I've got some interesting winding ideas and techniques that may actually work well! Of course I don't want to look stupid showing them before I get my hands on Mercury Magnetics to make a comparison. ;)

I don't care for some technical aspects you might call a "mistake" from some standpoint. If it sounds and feels good it's good! It's an art after all... Only the real comparison will tell us the truth. :munch
    Audio samples. If you can have audio samples that sound better than MM, you don't have to learn the basics! :)
    Though if you come from just your intuition and experiments, it may take years to come up with a fine result. I won't ague that. On a bright note, if a beginner can come up with something interesting off the start, that will be really surprising. :omg