Window Tint in Car - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ronmail65, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

My objective is to reduce interior heat in my car while it's parked in an open lot in the direct sunlight all day.

Option 1 - I could get one of those windshield things and put that up when I part the car. How much of a difference would that make?

Option 2 - Tint Windows.
    • Is this effective in reducing temperature? And to what degree? (significantly more than option 1 above)
    • Are there types of tint material that are more effective, last longer, etc...?
    • What are the downsides of tinting windows?
    • Any other thoughts on the topic are welcome!

2. Layne-o

Layne-o Gold Supporting Member

Howdy from Texas, where window tint is mandatory... ;) I’d check your state laws to see what is legal then check out local shops. They’ll have several different options and products. Above all, window tinting is an art. Pay to have it done correctly.

Add a front windshield sunshade too if you’d like...

dahctor and 84superchamp like this.
  3. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

If you decide to tint, be very careful that it's not too dark (making it illegal). Police have devices that can measure the amount of tint in a window.

84superchamp likes this.
  4. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

I don't care for dark window tints so I can't speak to that, but a good windshield reflector thing helps a lot. It makes a big difference, and keeps the sun from deteriorating your dash top as well. I'm sure side tint helps, but you can't really tint the windshield much and it's a big window...

Tom CT likes this.
  5. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

In California the state regulates how dark the tent can be. LEO needs to be able to see inside. Some window tenting business ignore the law and apply what the customer wants. Check with your local police or state troopers before you start.

6. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler Member

UV blocking tints are available. They cut down the heat, but not cheap by any means.

84superchamp likes this.
  7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

There is a clear film available that block more heat than even the darkest tint. It was $125 for a windshield. Pretty amazing stuff really.

8. BigWave

BigWave Member

Option #1 is very effective for a parked car. Helps save your dashboard too.

Option #2 can be effective while on the move. It also depends on the vehicle. Most states limit windshield and front seat side windows. The rest are usually ok to blackout (but your state will determine). If you have a long fastback type rear window, tint can help but most newer cars/SUVs have that dark enough already.

What type of vehicle are you driving?

Badtone likes this.
  9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
  10. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Also, ask what brand they are using and then read long term reviews of it online. You don't want tint that will end up bubbling or change color (mostly to a butt-ugly purple color). This is a problem with older and cheaper tint, not with most higher quality products like 3M, etc. Those will fade also, but will take much longer to get there.

This process is accelerated by ammonia based cleaners like Windex. Don't go there.

Also, ask what their warranty is. If you do have a window you have a problem with, or discover trash (debris) that managed to get into the film during install, how are they going to handle it?

Mark Ray and 84superchamp like this.
  11. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Do both for the best effect.

Mark Ray, Layne-o and 84superchamp like this.
  12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Window shade and tint. If you go super dark on the tint you become a cop magnet.

84superchamp likes this.
  13. cadduc

cadduc Member

Do both, the window tint and the windshield shade.

the folks that live in the desert/texas, arizona, new mexico, Nevada, etc., know it is not even an option for daily survival

Before you window tint check the law to see what is ok. Cops like to look in your car from a distance in order to see what you are doing
    then,
    find the goods made by 3M, more expensive but they work, the qc is good, and they last

and get it all installed by the 3M authorized dealer

years ago I had my used camry done, sides and back cost $287,
    I checked that is what they charge today

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Talk to the working cops in the City of Richmond and in surrounding Henrico County and see what they approve and don't approve of.

15. jblake

jblake Member

My local police department (all 4 of them) have declared war on window tint. I guess they all just got the gadget to measure tint opacity, because they are stopping everyone to check.

I suspect that it is just a ruse to check for other things. :dunno

16. drewl

drewl Member

Yes, I got a ticket for window tint being too dark.

Tried explaining to the officer that I bought the car that way from a DEALER and had it inspected every year from the dealer and had no idea it was illegal.

of course they had to justify the expense of their fancy new light meter, so he wrote me a ticket any way.

Took it to court and won after removing the tint.

17. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

We have a light tint on the front and front side windows, dark tint on the rest. Still gets baking hot inside. We also use one of those sunshades, which really does help.

Badtone likes this.
  18. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

How did you "win" after REMOVING the tint? That's not a win!!!

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  19. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions thus far! The car (SUV) in question is a Mazda CX-9.

I've spoke with a couple local shops and they all claim that the tint will make a huge difference in temperature - but they're not exactly objective. They did volunteer information about ensuring legal tint levels - so that was good. I got random quotes of $240-$280. I'm not sure about product however - 3M, etc...

20. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Yep, personal experience here: i had not been stopped in years and taking a (emergency) trip to town in my teenage daughter's car with illegal tint (i told her!) got stopped by SP and he was very cautious, approached from passenger side with his hand on his weapon and ordered me to roll down that window. I had to yell out my window "it doesn't work!"
    After seeing who it was and hearing my story, i got a warning only.
    If they cannot see what's going on inside the car, they get very nervous.
    The only downside i have found with dark LEGAL tint is it is harder to see side to side after dark, especially in dim lit parking areas. Besides tint, i use a windshield cover.

Fishyfishfish likes this.