Window Tint in Car - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ronmail65, Jul 17, 2019.

1. drewl

drewl Member

Not having to pay the ticket is a win in my book.

2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Um that's not a win. That's the government winning. A win for you would be keeping the tint and not having to pay. :)

fjblair likes this.
  3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Or the Court Costs, which are often even more.

Half a Win, then.

+

Our Saab 9-5 wagon still has only its stock windows. We saw a woman with a very small child, noplace to pull off really, and she'd just struck a deer or small elk and her minivan was wrecked along the narrow highway. I was able to make eye contact through my side window with a State Trooper a few minutes later and direct him to where he was needed and the way it unfolded, I just wouldn't have had time to roll my side windows down. He saw me as "100% Friend" and didn't have to evaluate me first as a threat and I think that's a useful and worthwhile thing, when a passerby from out of state can be helpful in an emergency like that.

4. BadgerDave

BadgerDave Gold Supporting Member

I've found that placing a thick towel over the dash and top of the steering wheel works as well as those shades that cover the windshield, especially if you can leave the windows slightly open to allow air to circulate. Compared to the windshield shades I've seen, the towel is cheaper and easer to carry and stow when not in use.

I have medium tint on the side and rear windows. I don't think it does much to keep the car cool, but it makes my Ford C-Max look much more gangsta.

5. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Not disputing anyone, but I see blacked out cars everywhere I go. The cops must not hassle them all that much.

6. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

Ask around and find a local shop that people have had good service from. They should know exactly how dark the tint can be and still be legal. Make sure they use tint with a lifetime warranty. Also use the windshield shade as many have mentioned. Combined these 2 things make a world of difference!

This was my 5 car. The tint was the darkest allowed by Tennessee standards:

7. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Here in DFW, it isn't a problem. Get pulled over, just have your windows rolled down before the officer approaches (both sides). If he wants to meter it, he'll have you roll it up a bit to test it. 25% (used to be 35%) is legal on doors front passenger doors, any shade is legal on rear passenger doors assuming you have two mirrors, rear glass, and the windshield above the AS1 line or 5" if no AS1 line marking present. Just make sure that your windows don't have any factory tint in the glass already (which really isn't a thing except on rear glass, I think). It's 25% total not just 25% film.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

I've had probably close to 15 vehicles tinted. It's a no-brainer for summers here.

8. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

9. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Both make a significant difference.

10. drewl

drewl Member

No court costs, you get a full refund if found not guilty.

11. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

One of my Grandsons removed the tint in photoshop and took the picture to court. He got off and still has the tint.