Windows 7 KB300637 update REMOVED all my programs from my laptop!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by IGuitUpIGuitDown, Feb 27, 2015.

1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

All for a Lithuanian EURO symbol change. Shut down the laptop, and it rebooted with no programs, Firefox, etc.
    WTF?

Anyone else have this problem?

2. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

3. ASC67

ASC67 Member

I reluctantly allowed that update yesterday but it didn't cause any problems for me. Desktop not a laptop.

4. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

That's why I don't set my computer to update automatically.

5. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Windows,....<sigh>,.....the worst. I've come to really loth anything Microsoft at this point. I have one (very new) Win 8 laptop. HP. It's horribly slow -- I barely use it.

6. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I've read that some people lost files - but not all their programs!

:bitch

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you've mentioned this before. Many of us have noted that Win8 isn't slow, and this is born out by any number of benchmark tests. If your machine is slow, it isn't because it's Win8.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Yup, I find it silly when I read the same comments over and over again... but then again, the interwebs is full of anecdotes that can be easily debunked. If windows 8/8.1 does not run faster on windows 7 hardware there is something wrong with the hardware.

As for the updates... people should always read about the updates they are installing in their machines. Microsoft makes changes to the OS that may not be fully compatible with the hardware (especially laptops) and thus may require patches from the manufacturer, or some guidance on how to install said updates from the manufacturer. Being aware of the things we do, or install in our computers is never a bad thing. Never.

9. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

I was just about to post the same thing.

The problem isn't windows. One likely problem is that when you bought the laptop, the manufacturer or seller loaded all kinds of bloatware onto it.

That stuff should all be removable. If you have to, you can wipe the drive and do a clean install.

I'm using a 6-year old laptop. Windows runs superfast on it. If you're using a new machine, you should be having no problems.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Agreed, my win 8.1 is pretty quick actually :mmm

Updates are a hassle, but I just set mine to notify and then as the last thing I do before shutting it down, I'll let the pute do the update while I do something else :dunno

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Incidentally, I'm setting the over/under on how many times Probos posts that misinformation in the next year at 4. And I'm taking the over.