windsor combo vs champ XD or?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by minorseventh, Apr 5, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

I play guitar in bed and I would like to plug it in now.
    I have amps up the wazoo but all need an attenuator for true bedroom playing so Im tossing these 2 around. I like the windsors built in "sponge" and I heard a clip that appeared to show some actual power tube overdrive, however I am looking for more of a cranked fender tone... hence the super/vibro champ XD option.
    I am worried about the fenders digital distortion though, and also that the speaker out doesnt disconnect the internal speaker when engaged, so it cant be attenuated for power tube cranking in case I want to record with it (although I could do the old splice-into-the-speaker-out-wires-with-aligator-clips routine).

has anyone played both of these? can the fender do a convincing tweed about to blow tone? can the peavey do a vox tone? can the fender do proper edge of break-up tones or is it all or nothing?

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Go with the Windsor. I tried the Champ. I didn't like it. It sounded like crap to me. I've got two Fender tube amps.

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have not tried the Windsor, but just got a a Vibra Champ XD. On the down side, it is not very well made, has a nasty 60Hz hum and sounds a little cheap and boxy. On the good side, it has a huge pallet of classic rock tones and records great. At 5W (cheap 8" speaker), it feels like cranked tube amp at low volumes and is a blast to play. I even brought it to band practice last night and it sounded great in the mix. Not enough power, but I ran the line out into a power amp to beef it up. I think the engineers did a great job at voicing the overdrive/preamp to work with the tubes. It is not sweet, smooth or refined like a big quality tube amp, but is great for what is.

Shawn.

4. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I tried both and bought the Super Champ XD. I plugged into the Windsor, played for a minute or two, and then moved on.

5. shaun

shaun Member

I'm really enjoying the Windsor Studio. After waiting, for more than a year , for its release, I finally snagged the first local arrival. Initially , I was disappointed in the bass response, I have read, a characteristic of single-ended amps. Changed the ratty speaker,for a 25 watt alnico Weber,and the preamp tubes for some old NOS, I was saving for a rainy day, and ,to me, it sounds great! Still auditioning power tubes. Best, so far ,is a JJE34L. Chimey clean, to screaming distortion ,sans pedals. Does take pedals, very well, though. Not well suited for palm muted power chords, but,singing sustain from clean ,to mean. Great value and fun. Can,t wait to try it with a band ! Seems plenty loud,and Ill bet it cuts! Attenuator works well and the tone stack is nifty. It even has a plywood speaker baffle! For the few times a year I play 'out', it will be my 'grab and go' amp. Weighs less than 40lbs. and has a speaker simulated, lo-Z out. Can't seem to play it enough. I'm sure the Fender Super Champ is a quality product,too,but ,kudos to Peavey , for a stellar amp. Good luck with your choice and hope this helps.

6. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

The SCXD is the best value amp on the market IMO. It sounds great at bedroom levels with no soak needed. Great clean and overdrive at all levels and effects that are actually pretty darned good. The 1st channel also takes pedals very well. This channel with a good distortion pedal is very nice indeed.

I also own a MB F-30 and for reference have owned the Vox Valve state AD-60VTX and more recently the AD-50 VTX. Neither can hold a candle to the SCXD IMO. Yes, it has a digital front end, but in a blind listening test I doubt you would know it. It's not hype, they're really that good. Easily the best three hundred bucks I've ever spent on an amp.

I haven't turned my Boogie on once this past week since I got this little monster. As a matter of fact, I thought of selling my Boogie the first time I heard one of these and changed my mind, but now that I've had a chance to thoroughly evaluate the SCXD I've decided it's about all the amp I need (I only play at home) and will probably sale or trade the F-30, I like it that much.

BTW, I also played the Line-6 with the Bogner designed amps and although they cost much more, they're not in the same league IMO.

7. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

thanks for all the replies. this week im going to hunt them down locally and play em

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Super champ XD is a fantastic amp for the price point.

9. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

i bought the super champ and have had it home for about 2 hours now..

plus+ it is, hands down, the most realistic and toneful modeller I have played, as far as clean, light and medium overdrive. for high gain stuff it kind of blows, but thats ok. fenderesque sounds like this cannot be found in a line 6 or vox and it feels natural, like a real amp.

minus- the 60 cycle hum with even the slightest amount of gain makes it pretty much unusable. i will be returning it on tuesday.

I am pissed off and perplexed at the same time. the tone is THERE. i have played or owned almost every modeller out there, and the little fender really puts them to shame... but even with humbuckers I can hear the noise over the notes. it does not go away. I dare not even try it with a p90 because my tele made me want to kick it across the room.

10. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

Ahhh....
    I'm really sorry to hear that... You are probably experiencing the bad consequences of the poor quality of your electricity supply... I've never had any kind of hum with my SCXD (but again maybe it's the 220v vs. 110v.... )

Real pity anyway, since, as you noted, the tone is great :D

11. markj

markj Member

I had a peavey windsor studio for a while. It does pretty good crunch. But no clean tone and lacks bass. It's also pretty cheaply made. I ended up returning it.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Minor! return it for another. My friends is dead quiet.

13. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

Seems like a good advice... Mine too is really quiet. I was thinking that maybe the difference could be explained by the electrical supply differences between Europe and the US... But since other people on your side of the big salty pond have quiet SCXD, it means that yours' faulty, minorseventh...

14. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

yeah theres no monitor or fluorescent lights or anything near the amp either. maybe it is just a lemon? i really do hope so.
    played it again before i went to bed, and yep.. horrible noise, awesome tweed crunch.

15. Scott57

Scott57 Member

It sounds like you have a "bad" one. I would return it for another one. I play my Tele, a LP Special w/ P-90s and a ES-175 humbuckers without a problem. Did you have a chance to play it before taking it home?

16. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

17. Electric I

Electric I Member

'Nother vote for the scxd.

Best 3 bills I ever spent on an amp.

Oh - no noise issues here either.

18. phatster

phatster Member

Lovin my XD...no noise with mine and I got a blem!

19. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

i called guitar center today and told them I wanted to return the XD and exchange for another. "no problem" they said, however they have no more in stock. "well can you get one?" says I... yes they say, but you (me) have to pay shipping...

WTF is that??!! I want to return a defective item, and I have to pay the mega-corporation to send a replacement.

needless to say I was a little irritated. he then tells me theres 3 more in town at 2 other locations (this is in los angeles... 3 super champs in the entire los angeles area) and that if I want to go find one I can exchange it there.

soooooo... color me not impressed with the whole experience thus far:puh

20. Scott57

Scott57 Member

That's just BS on so many different levels...the GC web site offers free shipping on their web site for orders over $99 and it's not like the SCXD is a special or custom item. I'm not fond of people who cry manager at the first sign of a conflict but that's who I'd be asking for. They should be able to send one of those amps to the store for you to exchange. I'm really sorry to hear the problems you've encountered 'cause I got the SCXD at GC in western PA and it was a good experience.