Winfield Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mark Williams, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I just received a Winfield 30-watt head, and I'm very, very impressed. It's pretty much the standard "Winfield" with the 18/30 watt, 4 x EL84, tube or ss rectifier, and with the internally jumpered channels. Being able to blend the channels is a very cool feature. I just wanted to note that, after going through tons of amps--expensive; cheap; and everywhere in between--that I think these are a great value in a fine amp (at any price). This amp is really versatile & can really rip if you want it to--plenty loud for most applications.
    I read here that someone was very "underwhelmed" by a Winfield amp. Unless the EL84's were worn out or something, that's hard to figure.

2. Zim

Zim Member

Winnie builds awesome amps! I'm surprised he isn't mentioned around here more often, Maybe if he charged more for his amps? lol

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The 30W Winfield is a very good sounding amp! Kinda Vox meets Marshall. It started out as an Aiken design and evolved into the ax84 "November" group project amp and then into the Winfield, so the design has been well worked over. Winnie's amps are definately good bang for the buck.:AOK

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Not funny- you're probably right.

5. Steven

Steven Member

Yup. I had a Winfield for a while - great sounding amp and super bang for buck. I sold it cous I needed more clean headroom. The Winfield and a Cot50 was the best drive sound I had so far.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Winnie's a great guy too. I visited his shop back when I lived in Vermont. Nice work, and very cool amps.

7. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

To be fair, he has had some serious quality control issues over the years. There are several people here who were not too happy with the construction of thier Winfield amps.

By all accounts, he's a great guy and his amps sound good.

8. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

might've been me. GFI