Winfield Cyclone vs Winfield 18/30 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by earthmud, Mar 7, 2015.

1. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I'm looking at both of these amps and wondered if anyone owns both? Does the Cyclone have enough volume to keep up with a band? How much headroom does the Winfield 18/30 have? Which vox circuit is the 18/30 based on (I know one channel is Voxish and the other marshall)?Anyone in Phoenix own either that they would be willing to let me try? My main amp is a JMJ30 and I'm looking at something a little more portable so possibly a combo or head and 1x12. All opinions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i have owned both but do not own them currently....Th Winfield has considerably more clean headroom than a Cyclone and is a more versatile amp in general....as you'd expect the higher output Winfield is also more muscular....(although when you bypass the master the Cyclone is pretty darn herkin),,,the Winfield has a dark and a bright channel but i wouldn't call one Marshally and one Voxy....the ability to blend the two to taste is where the amp shines as you can find what you're looking for with any guitar....its more of a Vox meets Marshall thing rather than two distinct sounds...i had no problem gigging with the Cyclone with a pretty slamming drummer and bass player....i have no idea what if any Vox circuit the Winfield is based on but i've found Winnie to be good at communicating so maybe he'll clue you in....FWIW I recently sold an Elizabeth that i already regret letting go...its a more of a Fender blackface design but holy cow what a great sounding rig with a good pedal board....

3. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Supporting Member

I've owned and gigged with a Winfield 18/30 a couple of years back. It is one amp I wish I would still have. I agree with the above description very much. To me, the Cyclone is a very nice handwire VOX. The Winfield, is more Marshall to me, but with EL84 and blendable channels. There is some nice chime happening as well. It was a very loud amp, so this is another thing to consider if you want/need a master volume, as it has a fair amount of headroom on 30 watt settings but if you want the natural crunch, you will need to run the amp pretty loud.

Overall, very nice amps and very nice builder, Winnie is a great guy.

4. jawajt

jawajt Member

I own the 18/30, as well as an Elizabeth. The posts above are dead on. The 18/30 is a "little" more versatile. I get my dirt from pedals, so I went with the 18/30 over the Cyclone. However, the Cyclone has the best natural OD of any amp I've ever played. So if you want to get your dirt tones form the amp, I'd go with the Cyclone.
    Winnie also has the Tornado, which is a 30 watt version of the Cyclone. It has a half power switch, but I can't tell if it has a Master volume.
    If you're in Phoenix, you should take a trip to Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. They have the exclusive selling rights to the Cyclone. You could try one out there.

5. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely becoming a Vox guy at heart. Since I bought my JMJ30 I hardly touch my 72 vibrolux. My only real concern is will a 15 watt amp be loud enough with out it falling apart at high volumes. This would be my first low wattage amp.

Thanks for the advice. My JMJ is already really loud so I'm good in the volume department. Ideally I just need something that is easier to carry and works for gigs where the soundman likes everything set low.

Thanks man. If I can't find a local Cyclone to try I may be on my way to Rainbow soon. I wish they had a Winfeild I could check out as well. I usually run my JMJ at just about breaking up levels and use pedals for the rest of my dirt. The F5 would be kind of redundant with my JMJ30 so the Cyclone is more appealing to me because of it's size and wattage. I would be selling my Vibrolux to fund this so I need to make sure the cyclone will work volume wise. I'm pretty attached to my Vibrolux but really prefer el84 based amps these days. I have my eyes on the new Magic amps crossroads and Tex amps Bernie as well. Both of those cost almost twice as much as the Cyclone so is the Crossroads and Bernie worth the extra 1K?