Winged C vs. NOS Siemens

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DownByLaw, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Howdy,

Need to replace my EL34s in my VHT clx, and have been considering NOS Siemens. Currently I'm running reissue Mullards, which are fine, but past their prime. Really didn't last very long before becoming dull and lifeless. (probably around 350 - 400 hours max) I've heard good things about the winged C's, but is it worth double the cost for the Siemens? And will they last in my amp? (475 plate voltage)

There's a guy on ebay who has a large stash of the Siemens for 175.00 a quad. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Siemens-EL3...yZ121164QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any experience with this guy?

Thanks,
    Patrick

cspencer likes this.
  2. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Winged C's Will be great.

Although others do, I avoid buying any tubes off ebay.

If you want a list of vendors I use that are reliable send me a Private message.

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

Bought tubes off ebay ...never again. Once was an "ok" experience, the other was a hassle ...got my money back and lost nothing but it was frustrating and a waste of time. Get them from a good vender who knows his stuff. KCA NOS Tubes is awesome and Mike is great to deal with. No affiliation other than a very satisfied customer.

BTW, I love my NOS Siemens EL34s ...but also love my NOS Winged-C in 6L6.

Edward

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Siemens EL34'S !!!!!

BY A LANDSLIDE!!!

5. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I've bought several sets of Siemens from this seller and they are excellent tubes.
    Others on TGP have bought from him also for their Marshall Jubilee's.
    Check his feedback he sells these once in a while but the price goes up a bit once in a while so buy now if you're going to.

Still can't go wrong with winged C or EL34 BSTR (Ruby Chinese).

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

+1. Winged C's are great new production tubes - but NOS Siemens/RFTs are the ticket, at least to my ears. I can't comment on the sellar. I get mine from Mike at KCA - highly recommended.

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Definately try some cryogenic ones sometime, New Sensors or Chinese if I was to choose amongst current prod's. Really can't beat these in terms of dynamics, noise-floor and lifespan. I import mine to Europe from the states and I've become a frequent customer of Ron's at Cryoset who fail to disapoint. They even have some cryo NOS'es on stock should you still want to go the NOS route.

8. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Thanks all. I'm going to try the winged c's for now, hopefully they agree with me. (and my amp) If these don't work out, I'm going NOS. Kinda tired of the short tube life of new production. (not to mention tone)

Patrick

9. scoob

scoob Member

Winged C's are the real deal for production EL34's. I haven't tried the NOS stuff...too rich for my blood.

10. el34power

el34power Member

Quad of "C" in my 2203. Love them.

11. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Uh, yep, just got my Siemens RFT in yesterday. Wow, what a difference. I had JJ EL34Ls in there, and the amp popped when they were replaced.

12. Jazzpilfer

Jazzpilfer Senior Member

Siemens are great. I would suggest the original Tesla EL-34 power tubes if you can find them. I have them in 2 of my amps and they are my favorite. In the same range as the Siemens. That being said Winged C 6L6 tubes are fabulous.

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah the Siemens are better but not sure at twice the price. I guess it depends on what you are paying for the =C=

I have a set of winged Cs in a Hiwatt DR103 and they sound killer in that amp, so with either tube you can't go wrong.

14. pgissi

pgissi Member

I had some NOS Siemens from the early 90's that I had stashed and only recently popped them into my Marhsall SL-X. Not sure why I never really used them but what a find. I had been using some 90's GT's after the original Svetlanas and also Winged C El34's in recent years and had forgotten about the Siemens and recently installed them.

While the Svets, GT and WingC types sounded decent the Siemens are a cut above them all.

They really have something special going on in a marshall.

I am a big fan of some older Winged C's in my Rivera but in comparison, the WingC or the Siemens in the Marshall, the Siemens bested them. Very articulate tube for modern gain levels.

15. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I've played the old Teslas and RFT El34s. Honestly, I think the Winged Cs sound just as good. There is just something about them that is very pleasing to my ears. Maybe it's just me. :bonk

The downside is that the wear out really quick. I'd much rather spend big bucks on a pair of NOS El34s that will last 5 or 10 years or even longer and still sound great, than the Winged Cs that are noticeably dead in 6-12 months. It's a false economy.

16. Jazzpilfer

Jazzpilfer Senior Member

It depends on the amp too. We all like different things. Not necessarily better, just different. I will agree the older tubes do last longer.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What if you get 4:1 life span out of the Siemens tubes? This is a conservative estimate.

18. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

In my experience the =C=s are close but the Siemens are better and warmer. NOS Teslas seemed slightly edgier to me.

The Siemens' will probably last longer too so the debate as to which one is better from a cost benefit perspective gets more complicated.

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    This is actually one of the less complicated NOS/new production longevity debates.

Now if we were talking about NOS Mullard EL34s at 6X the price of SEDs it would be another story. ;)

20. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

Mike, I'll defer to your vastly superior tube knowledge. Still, the OP can't go wrong with either one (I prefer the Siemens myself).